Within 5 Miles
CHIPPING NORTON NEW STREET SP 3027-3127 (north side) 3/63 - Baptist Church GV II Non-Conformist Church. Established 1733, enlarged in 1816, further enlarged c1820s and given a new porch in 1863 by Gibbs, Thomson and Colbourne. Coursed and squared rubble stone, stone dressings and copings, ashlar to roadside facade with a gabled slate roof. The original (1816) building now serves as a hall and is to the rear of the c1820s Gothic style church with its later porch. The 1816 block is of 2 storeys, 4 bays with a Regency doorcase with spoked semicircular fanlight and octagonal plaque above. The 1820s extension has a roadside front of a gable end with corner octagonal pinnacles and plain 3-light lancets with above, a rose window. The lean-to porch of 1863 has 3 arches with good stiff leaf capitals to the columns. The churchyard has a number of memorials including chest tombs of which the 2 best are to Jabez Kimber (died 1826) and Joseph Hansom (died 1822) q.v.