St James the Great


  • Church Street
  • West Hanney
  • OX12 0LP

Street Parking


This Church is part of the Ride & Stride Event!
Find out More

Brief Description

A Norman church built on the site of a Saxon church from which two stone coffins remain in the Porch, the Inner Arch is an excellent example of Norman Carving of a Chevron pattern. There is a fine Norman period font and on the North wall a Memorial Tablet to Elizabeth Bowles who died in 1718 at age 124.
A beautiful Window of Christ in Glory, surrounded by five Saints and two Gallipoli Veterans commemorates the 1914-1918 War.

  • Main Description

    The Normans completed the basic structure of the present Building, a simple East-West rectangular place of Worship with the main Porch placed, unusually, on the North side.

    The original central Tower was replaced by the North Transcept Chapel-cum-Tower in the 12th century. The upper section of the Tower was found to be in a dangerous state during the early part of the last century and was rebuilt and the fine set of 6 Bells re-hung in a new Frame during the middle part of the century.

    The Chancel was rebuilt in the 15th century, the stained glass 14th century east window in the decorated style was retained.

    The High Altar is a suberb slab of Purbeck Marble, estimated to be two million years old. The wooden Altar Rails with their finely turned Balusters are 17th Jacobean, as is the Pulpit, carved with dragons.

    To the right of the High Altar is a 15th century Piscina, once used to house and wash the Chalice and Sacred Vessels. The Sanctuary Floor in front of the High Altar contains several notable Brass Memorials.

    The original Norman Church did not include a South Aisle, and in the 14th century the original south wall was converted into a five bayed columned Arcade, and a new South Wall was added.

    The trefiol headed Lancets and cusped rere arches are largely 19th century restorations.

    The Vestry west of the south Aisle was constructed by a local craftsman as recently as 1994, as part of a major restoration project. A new Heating system was installed in 2007.

Church Grants

tomb works and PA system

2017/2018 | £3000