Within 5 Miles
Early 12th Century chapel pulled down and rebuilt in 1847 under the direction of Gilbert Scott with the exception of the West Wall, West Window and structure of the Tower. A major refurbishment of the inside of the church was completed in October, 2013
Moulsford Church is located off the Wallingford-Streatley road in a quiet drive leading to the boatyard, Manor and river. The current building was erected on foundations of the previous chapel in 1847. It is of a simple, modest, design suited to serving the needs of the small village community.
The three bells of the original chapel were recast by Messrs. William and John Taylor of Oxford, in 1847 and remain in good working order. The tower structure is of interest: the design is peculiar to Oxfordshire/Berkshire area; the main timbers are thought to date from the 12th Century. There are two interesting wall monuments in the lower tower area which pre-date the present building. For a full history see the church web-site.
Moulsford is linked with Cholsey in a Joint Benifice. Services are held each Sunday morning and at other times on an ad hoc basis. Contemporary and Traditional forms of Common Worship are used together with a locally developed ‘All Age’ service.
The congregation is very welcoming and the church community plays an active part in the various support networks throughout the village. Moulsford has an active financial and personal Outreach partnership with St Phillip the Apostle Church, Huhudi, South Africa. More locally it supports the work of various initiatives promoting the work of the Gospel. Regular fund-raising events are held for Tearfund in conjunction with a Kenyan School Charity.
2012/2013 | £5000