Within 5 Miles
The foundation stone was laid in 1959 and the church opened on 1st October 1961. Simplicity of line is the keynote of this church. The exterior wall is of hand-made multi-red bricks with a Flemish bond, the interior wall of fine texture red bricks in English bond. The roof is of strip aluminium and the interior ceiling of treated cedar in contrasting toned strips.
Reeded glass windows are a feature and on the north and south walls the central windows include almost full length crosses of antique French glass. The Sanctuary floor is of Japanese oak and the High Altar is Portland Stone.
Two statues are set at either side of the altar, one is of St John Vianney (Cure of Ars), a beautifully hand-carved piece by a member of the Wantage Woodpeckers Group.