If ever a church deserved the label 'a quiet country church', this is it. This is a mainly 13th century building consisting of a nave and chancel, looking across a medieval goose green. There is no porch, and no tower, just a small bellcote over the west gable. What makes St Nicholas such a delight to visit is that it has remained structurally almost unchanged since it was built, with the exception of 14th century diagonal angle buttresses. Also 14th century are a pair of windows in the south wall of the nave.
There is a late 15th century window in the north wall but all the chancel windows are original 13th century features. The nave roof is worth noting; it dates to 1708 and has rather odd pendant decoration.
There are 14th century wall paintings on the north wall, opposite the entrance. Like so many works of medieval art, these lay hidden under coats of plaster since the Reformation, until they were uncovered during repairs to the nave in the 1980s. The clearest figure is a very large knight on horseback, his sword raised high, as if about to strike. Before him stands a much smaller figure of a woman with an animal, perhaps a dog or a lamb.
2013/2014 | £11000