Village church with exceptional wall paintings, which include paintings done around 1300 to the North Aisle Courtly Style, oil on plaster of St Margaret and the Dragon, St James, the Martyrdom of St Thomas-a -Becket, and the murder of Thomas of Lancaster, (the King's favourite). Also, in the Nave, late fifteenth century paintings of the Passion Series in primitive arcaic style
This church is listed Grade1 dating from the twelfth century, made of ironstone rubble and limestone dressings with lead and slate roof. The Chancel and Nave and their windows date from this period. The Tower is early fourteenth century, with a window to the Ringing Chamber which is a 2-light with Y tracery.The parapet is crenellated and with crocketed pinnacles. The Pews are box type, and the font (also 12th century) is on a round base with zig zag decoration.
The Arms of the Hall family, achieved in the seventeenth century, are illustrated in the South Aisle, where a monument to Gramvel Hall dated 1639 is also situated.
Restoration took place 1822-23 and 1892-93. Much restoration work has been achieved in recent years with the help of substantial grants from OHCT ,English Heritage, Viridor Credits, Allchurches Trust, Idlewild Trust, Wolfson Foundation, and Garfield Weston Foundation, in addition to money raised by the PCC and the Village.
The Churchyard, near the main road, has retaining walls and steps up to the church path. There are several good headstones including 2 grade 2 listed dated 1696 and 1697.
- High Street
- South Newington
- OX15 4JF
Grant of £1,000 awarded for roof repairs after theft and installation of alarm
Grant of £1,000 awarded for welcome area
Grant of £1,000 awarded for woodwork, sound system