St Philip

  • Little Rollright
  • OX7 5QA

    Amenities

  • Toilets: none

Street Parking

Yes

This Church is part of the Ride & Stride Event!
Find out More

  • Main Description

    Church. Chancel probably early C13, altered C15; nave C16; tower built (or rebuilt) 1617 for William Blower. Limestone ashlar, coursed squared marlstone with limestone-ashiar dressings, and some render; concrete plain-tile roofs. Chancel, nave, west tower and south porch. Rendered chancel retains shallow C13 buttresses but has fine 3-light C15 windows to south, with 4-centre-arched heads, Perpendicular drop tracery and scrolled hood stops; a further 3-light window to east has lozenge stops and is set within a casement moulding. Ashlar south wall of nave has a wide square-headed 5-light window with arched lights, hollow-chamfered mullions and recessed spandrels; the label mould has lozenge stops. The south doorway and the entrance to the small porch have shallow chamfered Tudor arches. Marlstone tower, with stepped diagonal buttresses and a crenellated parapet with small corner pinnacles, has a west window of 2 arched hollow-chamfered lights below a label and has similar bell-chamber openings; a wall tablet, framed by Ionic columns, has a shield of arms, the date 1617 and the inscription "WILLIAM BLO(?)/ESQVIER LORD OF/THIS MANOR BV/(?) THIS TOWER".

    Interior: both splays of the east window have moulded image brackets on tall pedestals and elaborate crocketed canopies. Early-C13 chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders has impost-capitals returning as strings. Wide chamfered tower arch may be earlier than 1617. Simple roofs are C18/early C19. Above the tower arch are traces of wall paintings. Fittings include late-C17 barleytwist communion rails, a small font on a tall panelled stem (probably C17) and a C19 stone pulpit. 2 large canopied monuments in the chancel commemorate members of the Dixon family. The earlier (probably early C17) is in painted stone with Ionic columns, obelisks, an achievement of arms and strapwork enclosing a vase of flowers and an hour glass on a skull; the full-length recumbent effigy is in armour. The monument to Edward Dixon and his 2 wives (c.1650) is in alabaster and black marble, and has the 3 figures kneeling around a prayer desk in a recess flanked by black Corinthian columns; the front panel is incised with the kneeling figures of 10 children. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p690)

Tweet
Share
Share