Within 5 Miles
The village is tucked away between Didcot and the Berkshire Downs with a small church containing the most outstanding medieval glass in Oxfordshire. It is to be found in the east window of the south aisle, built as a chantry by Sir Miles Stapleton in 1299. He was killed at Bannock burn in 1314. The survival of the window, largely intact, is remarkable and the glowing colours of the different scenes from the Passion and lives of the saints are still as impressive as they must have been seven hundred years ago.
Basically late 12th and early 13th nave, chancel and south aisle. Early 14th century chantry chapel, with elaborate piscina and remarkable mediaeval stained glass in east window of chapel. 19th century additions by Street (porch and furnishings) and elaborate east window in chancel by Bentley.
15th century west tower. A Grade 1 Listed building.
2012/2013 | £10000
2014/2015 | £10000