One of the earliest Christian sites in Britain – has been a centre of Christianity since A.D. 634, when St Birinus began a mission to Wessex. The imposing church is all that remains of an Augustinian abbey, founded in 1140. It was enlarged in the 13th and 14th centuries and restored in the I9th. It has good medieval stained glass, a remarkable Jesse window, and a rare lead font.
Abingdon Baptist Church
Home to one of the oldest Baptist churches in England, dating from the mid 17th century. The present building is around 175 years old.
The church consists of a nave (built in the 12th century), south aisle (13th century), chancel (14th century), a west tower and a south porch (both 19th century). The walls, which are built of chalk with stone dressings, are plastered internally and rendered externally.
All Saints Church was built of flint and stone in 1861.
Small Mediaeval church , peaceful and charming
The present church in Cuddesdon was built in about 1180 over the foundations of an earlier 12th-century church. It originally had only a single nave; the side aisles were added in 1240. The 14th century saw the roofs of the aisles raised and the addition of the south porch The chancel was rebuilt in the late 14th century and maybe again about 1500.
After the Dissolution of the Monasteries (1538-41), the church was no longer under the care of Abingdon Abbey and began to fall into decay. It was rescued around 1630, when a local builder supervised repairs to the upper part of the tower, the south wall of the south transept, the nave roof, and the pews.
Grade II* listed.
C12 origins. Building materials consist of squared coursed stone, roughcast, stone rubble to the chancel and a stone slate roof.
Central features include a C12 nave, C13 chancel, south aisle and a C16 tower.
Windows vary in style, with a combination of two and three light designs with examples of ‘Y’ tracery.
Other features of interest include a battlemented parapet and C19 fenestration in the nave and south aisle.
The Church is on a site of religious significance, the highest place on the
ridge. A 1200 year old yew tree is close to it. This was the heart of a
Saxon settlement, maybe with a wooden church. The foundations of our
church were laid in 1160.
Grade II* listed.
Early C13 origins.
Building materials consist of coursed dressed limestone with ashlar dressings, except the tower which is of uncoursed limestone rubble. The chancel roof is gabled and of stone slate, whilst the nave roof is of Welsh slate.
Central features include a chancel, north chapel, wide nave and west tower. The church was re-modelled C19 in Perpendicular and Early English styles.
Windows contain examples of three light Early English and Perpendicular designs. There are also original lancets in the east wall of the chancel.
The south porch is gabled and shelters a C14 doorway.
The tower is probably C13 and is three storeys high. It features original lancets and a stair turret in the north east corner.
Early C13 archway between the chancel and north chapel.
Set in open fields, this attractive small church of silver grey brick with stone dressings was built in 1842 by J. Turner, with the chancel added in 1872 by his son J.G. Turner. The poet Wilfred Owen’s parents are buried in the churchyard.
Grade II* listed.
Building materials consist of coursed limestone rubble and squared, coursed limestone. The roofs are steeply pitched lead with stone coped gables.
Features include a nave, chancel, north aisle, south porch and west tower.
Windows date from C13 and include a three-light geometrical window to the chancel and two-light Decorated windows to the north. The north aisle windows are C19 Gothic Revival, and the nave includes three two-light Perpendicular windows.
The C12 south doorway features a zig-zag design on scalloped capitals.
A grand cruciform town church, mostly 12th and 13th century, which lost its spire in the Civil War. It has some exceptional stonework and some fine monuments, particularly those to the Unton and Pye families.
The village is tucked away between Didcot and the Berkshire Downs with a small church containing the most outstanding medieval glass in Oxfordshire. It is to be found in the east window of the south aisle, built as a chantry by Sir Miles Stapleton in 1299. He was killed at Bannock burn in 1314. The survival of the window, largely intact, is remarkable and the glowing colours of the different scenes from the Passion and lives of the saints are still as impressive as they must have been seven hundred years ago.
Initially a small chapel was built and dedicated on All Saints’ Day 1870. In 1910 a new and larger church consisting only of the nave was built, funded by the Morrell family and the villagers of New Headington. Fund-raising to add both a chancel with choir stalls and a vestry were delayed by the outbreak of the 1914–1918 war. Further fund raising in the inter-war years enabled the addition of the chancel in 1937. Designed in 1910 by Arthur Blomfield, the church has lancet windows with an impressive interior – short piers and broad arches.
Grade II* listed.
C18 origins, built for J.A. Pusey. The tower was added C19.
Building materials consist of limestone ashlar to the west porch, with dressed and coursed limestone rubble elsewhere. There are also ashlar quoins to other walls.
Features include transeptal north and south chapels, with a west tower and porch.
The windows are Venetian in style and are located in the end walls of both chapels.
There is a semi circular keyed arch on both sides of the nave, with a similar arch in the west porch. The west tower features a C19 parapet.
This lovely village church, part of which dates back to Norman times, was restored by William Scott Champion in 1874; with the nave almost completely rebuilt and a north aisle added. The tower and shingled broach spire are of 1908.
Grade I listed.
C12 origins. Building materials consist of Magnesian limestone ashlar.
Features include a C12 nave and north aisle, C13 chancel with C14 south aisle and extension to the north aisle. There is also a 2 storey west tower, C15 south chapel and later additions including a C16 clerestory.
Windows date from C13 and include three lancets to the chancel end, with Perpendicular style windows to the north aisle.
Other interesting aspects include a south porch which zigzag moulding and a vestry to the north side.
Triple chamfered round tower arch with waterleaf capitals. The nave arcade features round arches on cylindrical piers.
All Saints Church is a Norman foundation. It was mostly rebuilt in the 18th-century. Parts of the nave date from about 1300. The church is noted for its many memorials, mainly to the Lee Dillons of Ditchley. Lord Rochester, the 17th-century poet of Charles II’s Court, is interred here in the crypt and his and a number of other coffin plates are displayed in the baptistery. There is a ring of 6 bells. Spelsbury lies in rolling countryside in north-west Oxfordshire on the edge of the Cotswolds. There is a good view of the Evenlode valley from the churchyard.
A church with work of many different periods, from the Norman tower to a 20th-century trompe-l’oeil portrait. There is a charming two-storied Tudor south porch, made of red brick. The Liberal Prime Minister H. H. Asquith and the writer George Orwell are buried here.
All Saints Chapel
All Saints Methodist
All Saints Wroxton
This Grade II* listed church dates from the 14th century. Numerous alterations have taken place over time. The Clerestory and aisles are C15; the tower, designed by Sanderson Miller, was rebuilt in 1748 at the expense of Francis, Lord North of Wroxton Abbey. Bodley and Garner undertook a number of restorations in 1885. The church contains a number of fine tomb monuments.
All Souls Chapel
Now used as a cemetery chapel
Overlooking the Stonor valley in the Chiltern Hills, this church was built in 1854 to replace a Norman and later C13 church. Of coursed flint rubble with limestone ashlar quions and dressings, with chancel, nave, north transept and west belfry.
Annunciation of The Blessed Virgin Mary
Mainly medieval this attractive small church is in an attractive village setting.
Assumption of The Blessed Virgin Mary
Assumption of The Blessed Virgin Mary
The Church of England parish church of the Assumption of the Blesséd Virgin Mary was built in the 12th century and enlarged in the 13th century. The bell tower has a ring of six bells, all cast by Gillett & Johnston of Croydon in 1907.The church has also a Sanctus bell dating from 1352 Th.e ecclesiastical parish is now part of the Benefice of Bicester, Bucknell, Caversfield and Launton.
Banbury United Reform Church
This is one of the oldest Baptist churches in the country. The current building dates to 1834.
Originally set up in 1900 as a daughter church of New Road Baptist Church in Oxford it still operates as a Baptist Chapel in the tiny Hamlet of Bayworth, Sunningwell near Abingdon.
The Baptist Church in Hook Norton is one of the oldest in existence, tracing its roots back to the 1640s. Not surprisingly it has an interesting history: the first pastor James Wilmot was imprisoned for six months in 1664 for preaching! In the era before cars, horses and traps would converge on the church from surrounding farms and villages, some people would travel for over an hour on foot for Sunday Worship.
A Chapel was registered for meetings in 1704 but the present building was built in 1756. It is no longer used for regular worship, but the Churchyard is still open for burials.
The church was founded in 1794 by Robert Lovegrove, the owner of Calleva House, who had a plain rectangular chapel built at the bottom of his garden, along with an attached schoolroom. Given a Georgian front in 1821 as the membership grew, that front was replicated to permit an extension forward (over the old graveyard) in 1994.
There has been a Baptist congregation in Bloxham since 1682. The current Baptist church was built in 1862 and enlarged in 2001.
In the early 19th century, a house in the lower village was licensed as a Dissenters’ Meeting House. This later lapsed, but there remained a Non-Conformist following in the village which worshipped at the Congregational Church in Summertown or the New Road Baptist Church in Oxford. From this latter church, Mr Ernest Alden came on mission in 1884 preaching on the village green. This resulted in a church group first meeting in a house, then a barn, and then a church building raised in 1886.
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.