The present church in Cuddesdon was built in about 1180 over the foundations of an earlier 12th-century church. It originally had only a single nave; the side aisles were added in 1240. The 14th century saw the roofs of the aisles raised and the addition of the south porch The chancel was rebuilt in the late 14th century and maybe again about 1500.
After the Dissolution of the Monasteries (1538-41), the church was no longer under the care of Abingdon Abbey and began to fall into decay. It was rescued around 1630, when a local builder supervised repairs to the upper part of the tower, the south wall of the south transept, the nave roof, and the pews.
Cuddesdon Church has a cruciform plan with wide transepts, three aisles, and porches on the west and south sides.
The Norman tower has a northwest stair turret and set-back buttresses. The upper part was rebuilt in 1630 and has twin arched bell-openings and an embattled parapet. The weathervane and clock date from the late 1700s.
The west portal is Late Norman and has an arch of three carved orders: the inner one left plain; the middle one with roll-molding and dogtooth; and the outer one a band of lozenges with cut-out centers. All are under a hood with stops featuring squarish beasts' heads. The capitals mark the transition from Late Norman stylized leaves to the freer Early English stiff-leaf decoration.
The south porch is 14th century but the south portal is from the 12th, contemporary with the west portal. It was moved when the south aisle was added in the 13th century. The portal has an arch of two orders: the inner one plain and the outher one with bands of roll-molding and dogtooth. The capitals are carved with an early form of stiff-leaf and there is a carved head on the east side.
2015/2016 | £8000