Within 5 Miles
The Church is on a site of religious significance, the highest place on the
ridge. A 1200 year old yew tree is close to it. This was the heart of a
Saxon settlement, maybe with a wooden church. The foundations of our
church were laid in 1160.
The church has developed in four distinct areas. The earliest is the twelfth century
nave. During the fourteenth century the Chancel and the south aisle were added.
Five hundred years later the north aisle, kitchen and vestry were built. The Belfry, of
the nineteenth century, is of framed timber covered with oak shingles and
surmounted by a broach spire of the same materials. There are three bells, two are
of the fourteenth century and bear the stamp of the Wokingham foundry. The third
was cast in Reading. The font is of Norman workmanship. It is large and low, tub
shaped with a plain bowl. It stands by the western column of the south aisle.
One of the more interesting objects in the church is a carved recumbent figure of an
abbot in full vestments wearing a mitre. Conjecture has him as either Ralph
Dudcote, Abbot of Dorchester or Richard de Hendred, Abbot of Abingdon. Several
pieces of medieval glass survive in the top of the west window. The parish chest,
probably six hundred years old, is a "dugout" chest. The sides are three inches
thick, it has a massive lid with three huge clasps. It would have held the parish
records and plate.
The Lords of Didcot Manor and the clergy connect All Saints with significant events
in English history the civil war between Matilda and Stephen, King John's
suppression of the Jews, the Montford rebellion and the Gunpowder Plot. See more
history on our web page.
2016/2017 | £3500