Within 5 Miles
Parish church. 1826 by James Plowman for James Langston. Regularly coursed and dressed limestone rubble; slate roofs with coped verges and embattled parapets. Nave and short chancel with vestries in angle between; west tower closely modelled on that of Magdelen College, Oxford, reduced by athird in size. Tower. In 6 stages with chamfered plinth and moulded string courses and hexagonal angle buttresses. Pierced embattled parapet with Perpendicular tracery patterns and a multitutde of carved grotesque heads to cornice and band of blind quatrefoils below. Crocketed octagonal corner pinnacles and similar square pinnacles to centre of each side with empty statue niches; steeped pilaster buttresses beneath latter to belfry. This has tall 3-light Perpendicular - style of windows with paned tracery, one to each side of pilaster buttress. Stone-louvred 2-light windows also to second stage on south. Richly moulded pointed doorway to second stage on north approached by prominent external staircase and similar but larger doorway to west with clock above. Nave. Buttressed in 5 bays with crocketed pinnacles and blind trefoil-headed panels to each buttress. Stepped chamfered plinth and moulded cornice below parapet. South side has 3-light window with reticulated tracery to west bay; other windows a mixture of late Decorated and Perpendicular panel travery also in 3 lights; similar window of 2 lights to west wall, all windows with hoodmoulds. North side similar except that window with reticulated tracery is in centre bay. Stone cross to east gable. Chancel has moulded eaves cornice terminating in carved angels to east end and stone cross to gable; 4-light Decorated-style east window has hoodmould with head-stops. Flat-roofed vestries in angle with nave, both with single-light Decorated-style windows in east wall and south with Tudor-arched doorway to south wall. Interior: Lierne vault with central foliated boss and carved corbels to tower. Hammer- beam roof in 5 bays based on that of the hall of Christ Church College, Oxford to wide aisleless nave. Painted and panelled roof to chancel with gilding of 1884 by Clayton and Bell. Raised choir with encaustic tiles projects into east bay of nave; 4-centred chancel arch with panelled reveals and soffit. Moulded pointed doorway to vestry on each side of chancel and cinquefoil-headed broad lancet in south wall. Nave benches and choir stalls of 1826 have blind Gothic travery patterns. Octagonal font with panelled sides and pedestal and stone pulpit with Decorated tracery panels. Stone reredos and high altar with paitings to either side depicting the Apostles, the Crucifixion and the Descent from the Cross by Clayton and Bell (1884). Stained glass in east window commemorates James Langston (d.1863) and late C19/early C20 stained glass alternates with clear glass in nave. Sconces to choir stalls and in sanctuary probably 1826. Jacobean chest in north-east corner of nave and drum of 1826 barrel organ in tower. Graded II* on account of tower which forms a prominent land-mark in the locality.