St Giles

    Address

  • Wiggington Road
  • Wigginton
  • OX15 4JT

Street Parking

Yes

Train Station

Within 5 Miles

This Church is part of the Ride & Stride Event!
Find out More

Brief Description

The Decorated Gothic nave and chancel of the Church of England parish church of Saint Giles were built late in the 13th century. The Perpendicular Gothic porch and west tower were added later. The tower has a ring of six bells. St. Giles' has an early clock. Its date is unknown but its characteristics suggest it was made early in the 17th century.

  • Main Description

    WIGGINTON MAIN STREET SP3833 (North side) 11/115 Church of Saint Giles 08/12/55 - I Parish Church. C13: nave, north aisle, south aisle. C14 chancel. Late C14/C15: west tower, porch, clerestory. 1870 restoration of chancel and south aisle by William White. 1886 restoration of nave and north aisle by J.L. Pearson. Regular coursed ironstone rubble. Plain tile/lead roof. Chancel, nave, north aisle, south aisle, west tower, north west porch. Chancel has 2-light Curvilinear windows some with hood moulds and head stops. 2 western most side windows have dropped sills. Blocked 2-centred arched doorway to north side. North and south aisles: Mainly triplets of lancets; pointed arched door to south side, 2-light Perpendicular windows to clerestory. West tower of 3 stages: 2-light Perpendicular windows to 1st stage and bell tower. String courses to 1st and 2nd stages. Pointed arched doorway with chamfered jambs to south. Sundial on south wall. 2 diagonal buttresses. Porch in unusual position in angle between tower and north aisle. Clerestory and tower both crenellated. Chancel and porch have stone copings and ridge tiles. Interior: Chancel has piscina with ball flower decoration, stone seat with elaborate crocketed ogee canopy to south west; tomb recesses to north and south walls. Nave: 3-bay nave arcades have double chamfered arches. Round piers to north, octagonal to south. Perpendicular nave and north aisle roofs have ornamental bosses. Corbels to nave roof have carved head decoration. Steps to rood loft to left of pulpit. Piscina to south wall of south aisle. Monuments: 2 early C14 stone effigies in chancel. Recumbent knight on north side, a recumbent man with two small female figures to south. Stained glass: 2 chancel north windows have fragmentary C14 foliage designs in tracery lights. South window has C14 figures of a dragon and lion's face. East window by A.L. Moore 1909. Fittings: 2 Perpendicular bench ends in north aisle; C19 font with curious moulding. (V.C.H. : Oxfordshire, Vol IX, pp.168-9; Buildings of England : Oxfordshire, 1974, pp.841-2).
    The churchwardens' accounts record payments to a Samuel Bloxham for its repair from 1717 onwards, including a bill for £5 3s 0d for work in 1733–34 when Bloxham and a clockmaker called Thomas Gilks from Chipping Norton seem to have rebuilt it.

Church Grants

window repairs

2011/2012 | £1500

repairs to roof after lead theft

2016/2017 | £3000

Tweet
Share
Share
Pin