A hidden jewel.
Church. C14; tower dated 1630; restored 1883. Coursed squared marlstone with ashlar dressings, some limestone; sheet-aluminium roof. 3-bay aisled nave, south-west tower, and chancel recess. North and south sides each have 3 square-headed 3-light windows with ogee lights; the re-set east window is similar but with a 4-centred head. The small 3-stage tower, built above the west end of the south aisle, contains the C13 doorway with dogtooth decoration to the arch and an oak door of 6 fielded panels; the bell chamber has 2-light stone-mullioned openings and the datestone is inscribed "ROBERTE/PARSONS/1630". The shallow-pitched roofs all have parapets; the nave rises above the aisles, without clerestory, and projects slightly to east. Interior: C14 arcades and chancel arch have octagonal piers and responds with moulded bases and capitals and arches of 2 chamfered orders; bases on south side have corner spurs and may be C12. Trefoiled blind arches on east walls of aisles may be C13. C19 roofs with cast-iron brackets. Chancel recess is lined with grained panelling incorporating Decalogue etc. Late C17 barleytwist communion rails. Ritual chancel is defined by a C17 balustrade, with heavy turned balusters, linking with the pulpit which has C17 panels. Monuments include several C17 ledgers, and early C19 memorials to the Wilson family including a large draped urn by Henry Westmacott. C19 line drawing with stencilled border on north wall by Grace Wilson. The chancel was demolished at an unknown date. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.XI, p.292; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.713-14).