Within 5 Miles
Located in the centre of the village amongst the south Chiltern hills, this church was built in 1846 by R.C. Hussey of knapped flint with stone pillars instead of the usual flint and brick buildings in other parts of the area. With a Welsh slate roof and a North Tower; early English Lancet style.
The church is a beautiful example of simple Victorian architecture and is a quiet haven of tranquility. It was consecrated in 1848 at which time the tower was added. The tower comprises three stages: plank door with shouldered surround to centre of the first stage; lancet with clock face above to second stage; louvred lancet to principal faces of octagonal third stage. Octagonal pyramidal roof with wind vane.
One of the most significant features is the east Rose window, designed and made by Barbara Batt who cut each of the 1226 pieces of glass. The window was dedicated in 1954.
The interior was reordered in 2011 by Jessop & Cook, Architects, who removed the pews and installed under floor heating to enable the use of the church to be shared with the village Church of England primary school during the week. Further works are planned to instal a toilet and kitchenette.