St Kenelm's Church was built in the 1450s. Highlights include an alabaster tomb to the 7th Baron Lovell who built the church, a nicely carved 15th Century font and original 15th century seating in the nave. A fine reredos behind the altar.
Dating from 1450, St Kenelm's Church was given to Eton College by Henry VI and still belongs to the college.
In the 1430s the 12th century church was completely rebuilt in fashionable Perpendicular Gothic style.
In the south transept, used as a Lady Chapel, is the highlight of St Kenelm's; an alabaster tomb to William, 7th Baron Lovell, who built the current church. His effigy lies on a chest decorated with heraldic symbols relating his family connections. The base of the walls beside the chancel arch probably dates to the original 12th century church and is the oldest part of the building.
Other interior highlights are a very nicely carved 15th century font, and original 15th century seating in the nave. Fragments of medieval glass have been gathered in several of the windows. The north nave window has glass depicting St Dominic, and a likeness of St Lucy is set in the south choir window. The striking reredos behind the altar, installed in 1876, is a lovely piece of High Victorian art, with five panels of finely carved tableaux of Biblical scenes.
2017/2018 | £20000