St Laurence

    Address

  • Church Road
  • Appleton
  • OX13 5JU

    Amenities

  • Toilets: church
  • Local Amenities: pub

This Church is part of the Ride & Stride Event!
Find out More

  • Main Description

    The oldest parts of the Church of England parish church of Saint Laurence are 12th century Norman. The north aisle was added late in that century, linked with the nave by a four-bay arcade of pointed arches. In the 13th century a new window and doorway were inserted in the south wall of the nave, as was the priest's doorway on the south side of the chancel. The east window of the chancel is 14th century in style.In the 15th century the Perpendicular Gothic bell tower was added, a window inserted on the south side of the nave and the nave was re-roofed. The south porch was added early in the 16th century, the north aisle was rebuilt in the 17th century and the north porch was built in about 1700. The Gothic Revival architect C.C. Rolfe restored the nave in 1882–84. The church is a Grade II* listed building

Tweet
Share
Share