Little is known of the earliest history of this Grade II* listed church, although it is likely that a place of worship has existed here from Saxon times. The Church was extended the church in 1205 with the addition of an arcade with carved pillar capitals. An extremely rare medieval silver chalice, dated 1500, was used here and is now on loan to the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford.
Unusually this church has a porch built in the 1200s at the same time as the main reconstruction took place. Three Crusader crosses can be found on the left hand, outer door frame. The church has a number of other interesting features dating from the 13th century including a Norman tub font, and a window made from 13th century mediaeval stained glass fragments. The aumbry, in the north east wall of the Chancel, is one of only about six in England to have a ball flower decoration, which was fashionable in the time of Edward 1st.