Unusual tower with clear French associations. The bowl of the font dates from the 12th Century.
The present building dating from the late 11th Century was originally a small two-celled building (nave and chancel). During the 12th Century new aisles were added to the north and south. The chancel was extensively enlarged and rebuilt in the 13th Century over a crypt (perhaps for the use of the monks) which has since been destroyed.
In about 1340 the north chapel (originally a chantry) was added, Fine carved features in this chapel include a stone cornice to the north and south walls.
On the north wall are four corbels carved to represent various animals playing musical instruments. Shortly after the addition of the north chapel, the north aisle was completely rebuilt and the tower added.
Tower. The tower has an unusual design with clear French associations. It is set diagonally at the north-west angle, square below and octagonal above and with a tiled conical cap. Few substantial changes have been made since the late 14th Century, although windows have been altered, the church partially re-roofed, and there have been several interior restorations. Apart from those in the north chapel, the only ancient fitting of note is the font, the bowl of which dates from the 12th Century, although the stem and base are from a later date.
The Chancel floor in the Church was re-laid in the mid 1960's.
The has recently been restored with an advanced low-impact heating system deriving heat from the ground.
2019/2020 | £12000