An interesting small C12 church close to the Chiltern hills, formerly a chapel of North Stoke, and under the patronage of the Abbey of Bec in Normandy, which may account for the elaborate details in the chancel.
The nave has a north aisle and chancel, a brick and flint south porch dated 1634 and a Victorian belfry.
The windows in the side walls of the chancel are unusual for a small church which internally have slender Purbeck marble shafts with waterleaf or volute capitals, one carved with heads.
The east window is Perpendicular and the chancel arch C13.
The roof of the north aisle with curved and cusped wing braces is probably C14. The nave roof has a C15 wall plate and old tie beams.
There is a brass to Thomas Englysche and his wife, 1525.
2017/2018 | £10000