This small stone built church was built in the 13th Century on the site of a Saxon Church by the Abbot of Bec to whom the manor had been given by the family of the Norman Baron who had received it after the invasion of England in 1066. Apart from the removal of the tower it remains unchanged to the present day. In the church will be found a memorial tablet to the well known author Flora Thompson (author of 'Lark Rise to Candleford' who was born and lived in the adjacent hamlet of Juniper Hill whilst a girl.
St. Mary's was rebuilt in the 13th century. It is a small building with only a nave, chancel and south porch. The porch is Early English Gothic and has a sundial. The east window of the chancel dates from about 1300. The Gothic Revival architect Charles Buckeridge restored the building in 1861 and the present font was added at the same time. There is no bell tower but there is a belfry in the apex of the roof. The church had two bells in the 16th century. These have not remained but the church now has two bells cast in 1710 and 1858 and a small 17th century sanctus bell. In the churchyard are the base and shaft of a medieval stone cross. St. Mary's is a Grade II* listed building.
2015/2016 | £2000