Within 5 Miles
The church was built in the early 14th century, at the time Sir John de Broughton was building the adjacent castle. There is a fine tower and plain broach spire. Inside , the chancel and the nave are separated by a rare stone screen, and there is a remarkable collection of effigies and monuments.
The setting of the church, park and moated castle is enchanting, and has been used many times in historical films and TV programmes, and is very popular for local events. The OHCT 50 Years celebration will be held there on Sunday May 11th 2014 thanks to the current owners, Lord and Lady Saye and Sele.
The collection of effigies and monuments commemorate the owners of the castle from the 14th century to the present day. Another interesting feature is the large collection of hatchments of the Fiennes and Twistleton families from 1666 to 1847, when the custom of putting up a coat of arms of the deceased began to decline.
A quote from Richard Lethbridge's book Oxfordshire Churches, 'Those who enjoy monumental eulogies should read that of the 11th Baron Saye and Sele who died in 1844 '' without an enemy on earth and a bright example to the British peerage.'' '