Within 5 Miles
St Matthew’s Harwell exemplifies the architecture from Traditional Norman, through early English, to decorated. It appears to have been constructed as follows: 1190-1200 North and South Transepts, 1200-1220 Tower and Nave Arcades, 1270-1310 Chancel, 1275-1325 South and North Aisle Walls and reconstructed Porch, 1975 Ground Floor and Upper Room extension to North Wall.
St. Matthew's Church Harwell stands on a small eminence adjacent to Princes Manor farm to the East, and is bounded by a stream which rises in the nearby area of Wellshead to the West. The Church was mainly built in the 13th Century and has rubble walls of clunch covered with plaster on the inside and with roughcast on the outside. Its size reflects the existence of a considerable population in the village, then on the Wallingford to Gloucester highway, and was formerly dedicated to St. Mary. The date of the rededication to St. Matthew's is not known.
2015/2016 | £1000