Within 5 Miles
This small aisleless village church with timber bellcote was almost entirely rebuilt in the Victorian era, except for the Jacobean chapel with the magnificent Knollys family tomb.
Little medieval work remains except a few re-used details, including a plain round-headed doorway of c.1200 in the north wall of the nave, a square, low side window on the south, and a C13 piscina and aumbry.
The windows in the nave and chancel are Victorian.
In the north chapel, there are effigies of Sir Francis Knollys 1596, Treasurer to the Royal Household, and his wife with children kneeling round the side of the tomb. On the canopy are effigies of Lord William Knollys and his wife at a prayer desk. Of marble and alabaster, with exotic heraldic symbols, including an elephant and a swan, and original painting and guilding.
Several other Georgian monuments and one of the finest brasses in the county to Lord Robert de Grey, an effigy in armour under a pinnacled canopy.