St Nicholas

    Address

  • Challow Road
  • East Challow
  • OX12 9ST

    Amenities

  • Toilets: nearby
  • Local Amenities: pub

Street Parking

Yes

This Church is part of the Ride & Stride Event!
Find out More

Brief Description

The Nave and Chancel originate from the 13th century although reconstructed a number of times, most recently in 1858. Highlights are a partially restored 13th century window on the north side of the Sanctuary.

  • Main Description

    The large window on the north wall of the Nave is circa late 15th century contains a 17th century stained glass crest of the Muscovy Company granted a Royal Charter to trade with Russia in 1555.

    Originally the Nave was sorter than it is now and had south and west entrances, little remains of that period. Early in the 14th century the South Aisle was added reusing the South doorway. The Chancel Arch, Nave arcade, arch into the Vicar's vestry and Stoup remain today. The South Aisle was rebuilt in 1707 and a major rebuilding took place in 1858 including extending the West end of the Nave, rebuilding the South Aisle without a doorway re-roofing the Nave and altering the Chancel roof. The tower was built in 1884. Both Norman doorways were destroyed. Other windows include a 15th century one in the north wall of the Chancel and the small high window on the north side of the Nave is 13th century with a pre 17th century representation of the Holy Trinity in yellow stain.

    The two Bells came from Robert Wells' foundry in Aldbourne (active 1764 - 1799). The Organ dates from 1897. The Pulpit (1900) was originally without panels behind the metal work, they were installed by one incumbent to hide the platform he used in the pulpit as he was rather short! The Clock was installed as a memorial of the Coronation of King George V and Queen Mary in 1911.

    Until 1861 the parishioners had the right to be buried in Letcombe Regis churchyard. In 1867 and again in 1923 land was purchased to create a consecrated burial ground. The earliest grave is of Esther Isles in 1879. Another of interest is that for Benjamin Sharpe (1896) his wife and a daughter. Benjamin farmed Woodhill for 50 years, was church warden for nine years and it is largely due to his efforts that the first piece of ground for a churchyard was obtained.

Church Grants

modernisation

2017/2018 | £6000

Tweet
Share
Share