Within 5 Miles
NORTH LEIGH WILCOTE SP31NE 5/188 Church of St. Peter 12/09/55 GV II* Church. Late C12 with mid C13 and early C14 alterations; restored 1858 by H. Woodyer and 1868 by A.W. Blomfield. Coursed limestone rubble; gabled stone slate roof. Nave and chancel.
Chancel has small buttresses continued as string courses. Late C13 three-light trefoil-headed east window restored and enlarged by Blomfield. C14 Caernarvon-arched doorway to north; mid C13 pointed chamfered lancet to south. Nave: north porch by Blomfield, and 2-light Curvilinear window to north; to south is C14 offset buttress, an early C14 two-light Curvilinear window in blocked C13 archway and a late C12 blocked doorway, with a billeted and roll-moulded arch set on jamb shafts with cushion capitals.
West gable has C14 offset buttresses, and early C14 two-light Curvilinear windows divided by central buttress rising to bellcote with cinquefoiled niche.
Interior: early C14 trefoiled piscina with credence shell, and plain aumbry in north wall. Mid C13 double-chamfered chancel arch set on head corbels, with squint in south wall. Mid C19 octagonal font, and mid C19 pulpit and pews. Mid C19 waggon roof to chancel, and 3-bay arch-braced roof with traceried and foliate-carved spandrels. C19 memorial tablets. Mid C19 stained glass in east window. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp842-3; Bodleian Library, Topographical Drawings, for drawings by J.C. Buckler and others; National Monuments Record)