St Peter

  • Cornwell
  • OX7 6TT

    Amenities

  • Toilets: none

This Church is part of the Ride & Stride Event!
Find out More

  • Main Description

    Parish church. C12, partly rebuilt 1830 and restored 1882 for J.F. Penyston of Cornwell Manor (q.v.). Roughly coursed limestone rubble with quoins and ashlar dressings; stone slate roofs with stepped coped verges and C19 foliated crosses to gables. Nave and chancel with bellcote at junction; south porch and north vestry. Nave: south side has C15 square-headed 2-light window with cusped panel tracery and head-stops to left of porch and similar window with plain label-stops to right. Probably late C16 or early C17 gabled porch has moulded segmental-headed outer arch with hoodmould and scratch-dial inscribed "FUGIT=HORA" above; C19 three-light segmental-pointed chamfered mullion window to west side. West wall of nave has C19 two-light Decorated-style window. North side has C19 broad cinquefoil-headed lancets to left and right of C19 gabled vestry. This has window to west side identical to that of porch. Infilled segmental-headed arch immediately above ground level to left of left window has stone inscribed "VAULT FULL/1873". Plain gabled bellcote with segmental arch and impost band to east gable end. Chancel. South side has C15 square cinquefoil-headed light to west and window similar to those in south wall of nave to east. East window also similar but has segmental-pointed head. Blind north side has projection to west for organ chamber. Interior. C12 round-headed south doorway has single-chamfered inner order and roll-moulded outer order with hoodmould. Datestone over outer doorway of porch has inscription "REROOFED/AND RESTORED/1882. J.F.P." (enyston), Trussed rafter roof to nave restored in C19 has 3 wooden chandeliers (probably of 1920s) hanging from it; also 4 contemporary wall sconces. C12 round-headed doorway on north now leading to vestry is recessed on south and has semi-circular lintel tympanum to north. Transitional chancel arch of 2 pointed unchamfered orders, inner supported on half-conical corbelled responds with scalloped capitals and impost band terminating in scrolls on east side. C19 trussed rafter roof to chancel. Image bracket on short column in east jamb of nave south-east window; east window has blank shields to hollow jambs and apex. Twelve-sided C13 font has moulded panel to each side and square plinth with carved heads to chamfered corners; square chamfered base. Perpendicular-style stone pulpit with blind tracery and ringed shafts dividing each face is probably C19. C19 benches in nave and C19 panelled wood reredos to chancel, which has segmental-pointed aumbry on north side. Stained glass of 1876 in east window. Monuments. C18 and C19 wall tablets and memorials to members of Penyston family in nave and chancel. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp555-b; Bodleian Library: Oxfordshire: MS.Top.0xon.a.66 no.188) [2521]

Tweet
Share
Share