It is almost certain there was a Methodist congregation in Wallingford in the 18th century and that the Baptismal register was begun in 1833 which suggests a church already formed with a minister and a place of worship. The land, on which the present chapel was built in 1873, seems to have been previously used as a workshop and yard with possibly a stable and cart house adjoining. The adjoining land was already built upon in 1871 and used as a Free Library and Literary Institute for the town. The two buildings look very similar externally though their use until recently has been very different.
There is a trowel displayed to commemorate the laying of the memorial stone of the Wesleyan Chapel in 1872. Two certificates, one recording the registration of the church as a place of Religious Worship on 1873, the other showing that the church was registered for the solemnization of marriages in 1898 are also displayed. The existing pipe organ was purchased in 1923.
Although the exterior of the church is Victorian, the interior has been extensively modernised. A balcony was built in the church 1992. An extension to improve the facilities, and provide a first floor meeting room at the rear of the church, was completed in 1995. The most recent major development was the purchase of the adjacent building (‘The Old Free Library’) in 2003 and its conversion to a modern hall, kitchen and facilities for use by the church and the local community.