Within 5 Miles
Small 1906 chapel which has been refurbished in early 1990s.
The Methodist chapel was built at the beginning of the C20. According to reminiscences there were rows of cottages where the church now stands, with a well behind. The cost of the new chapel was in the order of £1200, with a bank loan of £765 providing much of the cost. This loan was still being paid off in 1919.
In 1932, after much high level discussion, the three main Methodist Churches, The Primitives, The Wesleyan and The United, joined to become the Methodist Church. At this time, it was decided to use the present church as the Methodist Church in Woodstock. During the war years, the railings outside the church, mounted on top of the wall, were removed as part of the war effort for iron. It took about sixty years for them to be replaced! It was also during the war that blackouts were placed over the windows. The brackets can still be seen today.
In the early 1990s, the church itself was redesigned and refurbished with the organ, which was in desperate need of renovation, being replaced by a new electronic one. In 2003, the frontage of the church was cleaned and repaired, following the discovery of erosion of the stonework, and easier access provided for wheelchair users. Since then, sliding glass doors have been installed to allow people in the street to see what is going on inside, a new audio-visual system and have replaced the majority of our pews with chairs to enable a more flexible use of the space.
2012/2013 | £1500
2014/2015 | £7500