• Denomination

  • Style

  • Clear all search and filter

St Thomas of Canterbury RC

Wroxton
Opened on 30 December 1894, and dedicated to St Thomas of Canterbury this is the only thatched church in Oxfordshire. Its story has its origin in the conversion to Catholicism in 1867 of William Henry John North, the future 11th Baron North.

St Thomas the Martyr

Oxford
The church has a nave with a north aisle and vestry, a Perpendicular Gothic west tower, a chancel and a south porch. The nave was rebuilt in the late 15th or early 16th century to meet a tower of approximately the same age; it is often dated to 1521, but appears to be built on older foundations. The southern side of the nave contains what are probably thirteenth-century buttresses and a pair of Perpendicular Gothic windows. The north aisle was originally built in the 13th century, and rebuilt by H.J. Underwood in 1890;[dubious – discuss] the vestry was built in the 17th century and rebuilt in 1846 to designs by Chamberlain, through the generosity of the curate, Alexander Penrose Forbes. The church has been reroofed at least twice, in 1825 and 1897.

The chancel, which has a ceiling decorated by C. E. Kempe, has three windows in the style of the late 12th century, and a priest’s door built into the south side circa 1250. A south porch was built in 1621 at the behest of Dr Robert Burton, whose arms are carved in the gable above the date. A candelabrum given by Ann Kendall in 1705 hangs in the chancel. The chancel ceiling was decorated with a pattern of gold stars on a blue background in 1914. Two years later, an altar was erected at the east end of the north aisle, and an aumbry placed in the north wall of the chancel. The royal arms of William IV are displayed in the tower.

St Thomas’ church has been a Grade II listed building since 1954.

St Thomas’

Watchfield
St Thomas’s (Grade II listed) was built in 1857-8 by G E Street, an earlier church having been demolished in 1788. It is plain Gothic in style, made of rubble stone with dressed stone buttresses, copings and openings and gabled stone tiled roof with bellcote.

The Free Church

Goring
One of the remaining chapels founded by Lady Selina Hastings, Countess of Huntingdon in the late C18.

The congregation was founded in 1788, and its first chapel was opened in 1793 (now used as the hall). A new church was constructed at its centenary in 1893.

The Good Shepherd

Kennington
The present church was built in 1965 at a cost of £8000 and opened on 21 September of that year.This is a prefabricated single storey building with a flat roof. The only furnishings of note are the alabaster altar, from the former Anglican convent of St Thomas, Oxford, and a square low relief carved tablet of The Good Shepherd, signed RMBF, 1951. Half of the former nave area is now leased to Headway, a children’s charity.

The Immaculate Conception

Bicester
The church was opened and blessed by the Archbishop of Birmingham on March 23rd 1963. Designed on a T shape pattern, the interior is full height with transverse arches. It contains a bronze statue of the Immaculate Reception by Mark Delf (1993).

The Orthodox Church of the Holy Trinity and the Annunciation

Oxford
Located in a residential street in North Oxford, the octagonal building (c.1973) reflects the ‘Eighth day’ of Early Christian symbolism. The church is richly decorated with icons, which bring a sense of historical perspective to the worshipping community.

Trinity Methodist & URC

Abingdon
The present united church dates officially from 1978 although the Congregationalists (now United Reformed Church) began sharing the building for worship with the Methodists ten years earlier. The main church building opened in 1875 (designed by Woodman in the Geometrical style) and has a 128 ft high spire.

United Church

Faringdon

United Reform Church

Summertown, Oxford
The present building dates from 1893. The first regular ‘Congregationalist preaching station’ in Summertown was established in 1835 in Middle Way. the ceremonial laying of the foundation stone on 13 June 1893. At first only the church was built, the chapel in Middle Way being retained. In 1910 a vestry and the back halls were added and the chapel in Middle Way was let to the Vicar and Churchwardens of St Michael’s until their church hall in Portland Road was opened in 1924.

United Reformed Church

Aston Tirrold

United Reformed Church

Wheatley
The present chapel was opened in 1842 and occupies the site of the Old Tannery Barn (c.1790). The building retains its original outline and simple interior, despite many repairs and adaptations over the years

United Reformed Church

Banbury
Previously shared space in St Mary’s Church, Banbury.

United Reformed Church

Cumnor

United Reformed Church

Temple Cowley

United Reformed Church

Oxford

Upton Methodist Church

Upton

Wesley Memorial Church

Oxford
Wesley Memorial Church is a Methodist church in central Oxford, England. John and Charles Wesley studied in Oxford, and the congregation was founded in 1783. The present church building was completed in 1878.

Oxford’s first Methodist meeting house was a building on the east side of New Inn Hall Street. It is now numbered 32–34 and is part of Brasenose College. A plaque on the wall commemorates the fact that John Wesley preached there on 4 July 1783.

The congregation later moved to a second building on the west side of the street. This has since been and the site has been incorporated into St Peter’s College.

The present Gothic Revival building was started in 1877 and opened in October 1878. The architect Charles Bell designed it in a revival of Decorated Gothic. The building contractor was Joshua Symm. Henry Frith of Gloucester carved the capitals of the columns, which portray twelve different kinds of English plants.

Wesleyan Chapel

Souldern
In 1869 James Cox granted land to the Wesleyan Reformers so that a Chapel could be built with blank Gothic front and Y-traceried side windows. The foundation stone laid on 6 July 1869 and the building completed by local volunteers. In 1895 a Schoolroom was added and in 1897 a new dias was installed.

Wesleyan Reform Church

Deddington

Witney Congregational Church

Witney

Witney Methodist Church

Witney
Grade II listed
Methodist (originally Wesleyan)
In 1796 a Trust was formed and the present site purchased. In 1850 alterations in the Victorian Gothic style were made by James Wilson of Bath. Reordered and enlarged in 1995.

Woodstock Road Baptist

Oxford
Small 1906 chapel which has been refurbished in early 1990s.

New and improved Roof Alarm Grants

You can now apply for a grant of up to 80% of the cost of an alarm plus the first year’s maintenance

You can now apply for a grant of up to 80% of the cost of an alarm plus the first year’s maintenance