The oldest parts of the Church of England parish church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul are the north and south walls of the nave, which are Norman and from around 1100.

The chancel was rebuilt late in the 13th century in the Decorated Gothic style. The Decorated Gothic bell tower and north and south aisles were added in the 14th century. In the 15th century natural light in the church was increased by the addition of a window in the north wall and a clerestory above the nave, both of which are Perpendicular Gothic. The tower has a ring of six bells. The oldest is the fourth bell, which Roger Landen of Wokingham, Berkshire cast in about 1450. Ellis I Knight of Reading cast the second, third and tenor bells in 1625. John Warner and Sons of Cripplegate, London cast the fifth bell in 1873 and the Whitechapel Bell Foundry cast the present treble bell in 1975, completing the current ring of six.

The church has undergone substantial renovation since the original build in 1100. The Norman nave and round-headed window remain in their original position in the south wall, but the Norman doorway and window were moved when the chapel was extended in 1874 and are now opposite of their original position. Apart from the Norman features, the church is C14 with C15 clerestory.

The church tower had a spire until 1811, when some of the stonework of the tower parapet fell off and the spire was removed during the tower repairs. In 1831 the Perpendicular Gothic roof of the nave was replaced with a new flat one. The chancel was renovated in 1850 and its present east window was inserted in 1856. In 1874 the north aisle was extended westwards by one bay to provide a chamber in which an organ was installed. The architect E.G. Bruton restored the building in 1884.

Saint Peter and Saint Paul
Aston Rowant

  • Church Lane
  • Aston Rowant
  • OX49 5SR

OHCT Grants

  • 2011/2012
    Grant of £10,000 awarded for new annexe for wc; conversion of lady chapel
stylist
Saint Peter and Saint Paul is participating in the Ride and Stride event on Saturday 9th September 2017
Sign Up
Lady Cecill Hobbee (1618)
North aisle 14th century niches
13th century Purbeck marble font
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.