Within 5 Miles
The church with its attractive C16 tower, in stone and knapped flint, dominates the skyline of the town and is located beside the River Thames. The church has C13 origins and was enlarged and remodelled in the C15, C18 and C19.
The C13 church consisted of a chancel, nave and aisles and probably transepts. Externally there is no work of this date and the Early English style west doorway is Victorian.
The north chapel was added in the C14. It has a two-bay arcade to the chancel and an east window with flowing tracery. Another chapel south of the chancel was built probably in the early C16.
The north east chapel is dedicated to St. Leonard and was built by John Elmer, who died in 1460. It has a battlemented parapet with gargoyles, and canopied niches flank the altar.
The church was restored by Benjamin Ferrey in 1853-4 when the clerestory was rebuilt, new roofs constructed and the nave given a new west window.
The present font is Victorian but there is a bulbous octagonal bowl of a disused font, dated 1626.
The rood scene, 1920; elaborate Victorian wrought-iron screens to north and south of the chancel.
Spectacular east window in the north chapel, 1863, by Hardman, with elegant figures.
Monument to Dame Elizabeth Periam, 1621, in alabaster and black marble with a finely carved semi-recumbent effigy in an arched recess.