The large church is in a pretty village on the edge of the Vale of White Horse. Of special interest are three rare oak effigies of about 1300 depicting a knight and two ladies. They are in the south transept behind an elegant 14th-century screen.
Spelsbury : All Saints
All Saints Church is a Norman foundation. It was mostly rebuilt in the 18th-century. Parts of the nave date from about 1300. The church is noted for its many memorials, mainly to the Lee Dillons of Ditchley. Lord Rochester, the 17th-century poet of Charles II’s Court, is interred here in the crypt and his and a number of other coffin plates are displayed in the baptistery. There is a ring of 6 bells. Spelsbury lies in rolling countryside in north-west Oxfordshire on the edge of the Cotswolds. There is a good view of the Evenlode valley from the churchyard.
Stadhampton : St John Baptist
Grade II listed.
C15 and C16 origins with C19 modifications.
Building materials consist of limestone rubble with ashlar dressings. The roofs are old plain tile.
Features include a C16 chancel, nave, north aisle, aisled nave and west tower.
Windows range from C16 to C19 and include various examples of two and three light designs with different styles of tracery.
Parapets are all C19 and are gabled.
C15 chancel arch with three bay north arcade and octagonal piers. Plain C19 roofs.
There is also a C12 tub font.
Standlake : St Giles
Church founded 1228. Octagonal 14th Century tower with small spire. Late Perpendicular window in wall of south aisle. Nave windows with original wrought iron pitchfork stanchions thought to date back to early 1300s. Windows dedicated to the Virgin, St John the Evangelist and St Thomas the Martyr inserted in mid 14th Century in north walls of chancel and north transept. Nave clerestory added late 15th or early 16th century and roof pitch lowered. Clapton Rolfe was the architect for the late Victorian restoration with addition of carved angel figures in chancel and nave. Chancel restored and given new altar, stalls and stained glass. Elaborately carved font cover and pew ends by Hems. A ring of 6 bells, 3 dated 1709-10; treble added in 1887. Nave altar on semi-circular dais added 2013.
Stanford in the Vale : St Denys
Though founded in 939AD, the structural development of the church began in the 12th century with the addition of the north and south doors. This was followed by the addition of the two lower stages of the tower in the 13th century. In the 14th century the north aisle was added, the chancel rebuilt and altered, and the decorated windows created in the south wall.
The north porch was added in the early 15th century, and in the late 15th century the south porch was built or rebuilt, together with the large window above. The nave walls were raised early in the 16th century, the earlier steep roof replaced by a flat one, and the clerestory windows above the north aisle added. With the top storey of the tower and the battlements added, the church began to look as we know today.
Stanton Harcourt : St Michael
12th Century Norman origins, with 13th phase of building when Chancel replaced, transepts added and the crossing arches rebuilt in Early English gothic. Major 15th Century alterations to Church including final stage of the tower in Perpendicular style. Fine tomb chest and statues of members of the Harcourt family. The chancel built in the mid 13th is striking both for its size in relation to the nave and the amount of light admitted through the Early English lancet windows. The remains of the medieval shrine of St Edburg is situated in the Chancel.
Stanton St John : St John Baptist
Stanton St John
Grade II listed building with richly decorated early C14 chancel, fine pulpit, poppyhead pews and some good medieval glass
Steeple Aston : SS Peter and Paul
Grade II* listed.
C13 origin but largely restored in 1873 by Charles Buckeridge. Building materials consist of limestone and coursed marlstone rubble with limestone-ashlar dressings. The roofs are of Welsh slate and sheet metal.
Features include a C17 chancel, north east chapel, nave, north and south aisles, a west tower and north east vestry. The parapet is crenelated.
Windows range from C14 to C19 and cover a range of Decorated and Perpendicular styles. They include various examples of two and three light windows with ‘Y’ tracery.
The chancel arch is C14 and leads to the north chapel, which features a C14 piscina. The four bay arcades are C13.
The aisle roofs are C19 and in Perpendicular style with moulded timbers.
The chancel screen is C15 and contains panelled tracery.
The font is possibly C12.
Steeple Barton : St Mary
Grade II* listed.
C14 origins. Building materials consist of coursed limestone rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings. The roofs are stone-coped and gabled with some artificial slate.
Features include a C14 two-bay chancel and nave, south aisle, a C15 west tower and a mid C19 gabled south porch.
Windows are in Decorated style and date from C14. They include a range of two-light and three-light designs. There is a Perpendicular style window to the west side of the church.
The chancel features a Minton tile floor with a C19 chancel arch and also a C19 arch-braced roof. The south aisle roof is similarly designed. There is also a C14 piscina and a C12 fluted tub font.
Steventon : St Michael and All Angels
A charming parish church, the earliest part of which is a column dating from 13th Century. The Decorated style of the window suggests it was substantially rebuilt in the 14th Century, probably when Steventon Priory, which was in effect a business venture supporting the Abbey of Bec in Normandy, had control of the church, the Prior being both Lord of the Manor and Rector of Steventon.
Stoke Lyne : St Peter
Grade II* listed.
Building materials consist of squared coursed limestone and coursed limestone rubble. Roofs are steeply pitched and of stone slate with stone slate gables.
Features include a C12 chancel and nave, C13 north aisle, C14 south tower with a C19 south porch. There is also a north vestry.
Windows date from C12 and include a triplet of lancets located in the chancel. There is a Geometrical window directly above. There are further lancets on the south side of the chancel. Other windows include a four light window on the west side with plate tracery. The tower also features a three light reticulated window.
There is a crenelated parapet.
Interestingly, the south doorway features an arch decorated with zig-zags. Above it is a C12 carved figure of St. Peter.
C19 chancel archs with C19 roofs. Most of the fixtures and fittings are C19 with the exception of the stone font which is C12.
Stoke Row : Independent Chapel
The Chapel was built in 1815 (since modernised) but there were meetings of dissenters recorded as being held in the C17 in a local farmhouse. The Chapel was built in Flemish bond red brick on flint footings. The roof is slate hipped with overhanging eaves.
Stoke Row : St John the Evangelist
Located in the centre of the village amongst the south Chiltern hills, this church was built in 1846 by R.C. Hussey of knapped flint with stone pillars instead of the usual flint and brick buildings in other parts of the area. With a Welsh slate roof and a North Tower; early English Lancet style.
Stoke Talmage : St Mary Magdalene
Grade II listed.
C13 origins although rebuilt C18. Building materials consist of limestone rubble with ashlar dressings. The roof is gabled and of tile. It is built in Gothic Revival style
Features include a C19 vestry, south porch and north aisle. There is also a chancel and single-aisled nave with a west tower.
Windows are Perpendicular style and contain lots of examples of ‘Y’ tracery. The west tower contains C13 reset lancet windows.
The south porch is gabled with a double chamfered doorway.
Decorated-style piscine with a mid C19 chancel arch. The foliate capitals are C13.
Most of the fixtures and fittings (including a pulpit, lectern and pews) are C19.
Stonesfield : Methodist Church
The church was built in 1867 by the Wesleyan Methodists at a time when both Primitive Methodists and Wesleyan Methodists were flourishing in the village. It replaced the 1853 chapel nearby, which continued in use as a Sunday school and temperance hall. The church has a lofty and steeply pitched roof of Stonesfield slates and is visible from afar.
Stonesfield : St James Great
St James the Great was built in the early 13th century and contains some fine Early English work. The west tower was heightened in the 15th century and contains a ring of six bells. It is still a prominent landmark. The church is roofed with Stonesfield slates, mined in the village.
Stratton Audley : St Mary and St Edburga
The Church is a Grade 1 listed building without Victorian ‘improvement’. Evidence of Saxon origins with 13th – 15th century development. Features include 13th and 14th century arcades and 14th century traceried windows, a beautiful Jacobean pulpit, medieval font and a crevence table of 1636.
Summertown : St Michael and A.Angels
Summertown : United Reform Church
The present building dates from 1893, the ceremonial laying of the foundation stone was on 13 June.
Sunningwell : St Leonard
Grade II listed.
C13 origins. Building materials consist of uncoursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings. The roof is of lead, with the exception of old tiles on the chancel roof.
Features include a C15 tower, south transept, and a C14 west porch. The chancel and nave are C13.
Windows range from C13 to C15 and are of two and three lights with decorated tracery.
Other features include a crenelated parapet with gargoyles. The west porch is also interesting and includes a Tudor-arched doorway with classical engravings.
Medieval style floor tiles. The nave includes a Jacobean pulpit with C17 pews. The roof interior is C16 and features arch braces from vertical side struts.
Sutton : Methodist Chapel
The Wesleyan Chapel and School Room was built in the late 1890s.
Sutton Courtenay : All Saints
A church with work of many different periods, from the Norman tower to a 20th-century trompe-l’oeil portrait. There is a charming two-storied Tudor south porch, made of red brick. The Liberal Prime Minister H. H. Asquith and the writer George Orwell are buried here.
Swalcliffe : St Peter and St Paul
An interesting church built of Hornton Limestone in the ironstone country near Banbury.Parts date back to Saxon times (eg 2 small windows and the nave). The church was added to by the Normans, and in the 14th Century it was endowed by William Wykeham, Bishop of Winchester. The Tower dates from late 13th Century.
Swerford : St Mary
Church. Late C13. and C15, restored and enlarged 1846 by H.J. Underwood. 3-bay nave and north aisle, chancel, west steeple, south porch and north-east vestry. Marlstone ashlar and some rubble; lead and Welsh-slate roofs. Slated chancel has a traceried east window of 1859 in a Perpendicular opening and has, to south, 2 blocked C15 windows, and a 2-light square-headed window with ogee tracery and a low transom, below which are 4 small ogee-treaded lights; rubble walls and low buttresses may be C13. Parapetted ashlar nave has a Decorated south doorway, with continuous moulding and ballflower ornament plus an old plank door, sheltered by a late C14 porch with parapet, large gargoyles and a sundial; south wall has 3 large square-headed 3-light windows of c.1400 with quatrefoils in the tracery, and above them single-light clerestory windows with ogee tracery.
Swinbrook : St Mary
The church is Decorated and Perpendicular, with a late Georgian tower, built in six weeks in 1822.
Swyncombe : St Botolph
Beautifully placed in the Chilterns is this largely untouched small Norman church, built of flint and stone. In the semi-circular apse are traces of early wall-painting.
Sydenham : St Mary
The church is mentioned in a charter of 1185-6, but its early history is as obscure as that of the village itself. It was a chapel of the prebendal church at Thame in the 13th century, perhaps before, and like it, also had the status of a peculiar. Although it separated from Thame in 1547, it came under its peculiar jurisdiction until the 19th century.
Tackley : Methodist Church
Tackley : St Nicholas
Grade II* listed.
C11 origins. Building materials consist of limestone rubble, coursed rubble and coursed stone.
Features include a C13 tower, north transept, porch, two-bay chancel and three-bay nave with south aisle. Roofs are shallow pitched and of lead with ashlar and gabled parapets. The church is in a cruciform plan.
Windows date from C13 to C15 and feature three original lancets with stone mouldings. The remainder feature a variety of ‘y’ tracery and panel tracery. There is a C15 three-light Perpendicular window in the north wall and a four-light Perpendicular window in the south wall.
The porch is of interest and features an Early English style doorway with various stone mouldings.
Plastered walls with a C15 piscina on an octagonal shaft at the south-east window. The north wall includes three Tudor arches that vary in width.
Most of the interior roofing is C19 with chamfered tie beams and braces.
The font is C13
Tadmarton : St Nicholas
The church was originally built in the 12th century but has been much altered since in successive remodellings during the 13th and 14th centuries: the latter phase being especially prominent externally due to the darker ironstone used for the top stage of the bell tower and the nave clerestorey.
Taynton : St John Evangelist
The church dates from about 1450AD, but many of the architectural features are reminiscient of the earlier Decorated style. The church contains a wonderful collection of sculptured heads which are the work of 15th Century stone masons.
Temple Cowley : United Reformed Church
Tetsworth : St Giles
C19 origins, constructed c1855.
Building material consists of coursed squared stone with a plain tile roof to the nave.
Features include a nave, chancel, vestry and stone tower. There is also an Early English style two-centred arched doorway to the base of the tower.
Windows are in lancet style.
Thame : Christchurch (Methodist and URC)
An impressive Gothic style building in stone dating from 1876, with graduated lancet windows. Modern new porch has been added.
Thame : St Joseph
Thame : St Mary Virgin
St Mary’s Church was begun in the 13th century at the instigation of the Bishop of Lincoln, Robert Grossteste. Vestiges of the original building can still be seen, such as the pillars and arches in the nave and the aisle windows which date from the early 14th century. The building was substantially restored in the years between 1889 and 1897 by the architect J.O. Scott.
According to the churchwarden’s accounts, the north transept was built in 1442 and since the windows in the south transept are of similar style, it was probably built at the same time. The south transept was known as St Christopher’s Chapel and houses two table tombs belonging to the Quartermain family. One of these, the tomb of Richard Quartermain, his wife Sybil and their godson Richard Fowler, dates from 1477 and is notable for the armour depicted on its brasses.
The stalls with linenfold panelling in the chancel were bought from Thame Abbey in 1540. There are several interesting tombs within the chancel.
The most prominent tomb is that of Lord Williams and his wife Elizabeth (see photo below, and his Wikipedia entry) Lord Williams served under both Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth 1, becoming a man of great influence and wealth. He founded the grammar school [now a comprehensive school], which still bears his name.
Toot Baldon : St Lawrence
Grade II* listed.
Origins late C12/early C13 but restored during C19. Building materials consist of limestone rubble with ashlar dressings. Roofs are of plain tile.
Architectural features include an aisled nave, chancel, north transept and south porch.
Windows date from early C13 and include original lancets in the chancel, although these may be reset as the chancel is almost completely rebuilt.
The north wall of the nave features a Romanesque doorway and a two-light C15 window. The vestry is C19 and extends the north aisle.
The chancel contains a painted arcade and C19 oak fittings with a C13 style screen. The north arcade contains C13 stiff leaf capitals.
Towersey : St Catherine
Grade II* listed.
C13 origins. Building material consists of coursed squared stone with a plain tiled roof.
Architectural features include a C13 two-bay chancel, four-bay nave, transept recess to the north and a south facing tower.
There is a two centre moulded stone archway to the base of the tower, with an arched doorway.
Windows date from C13 to C15 and contain various examples of ‘Y’ and ‘plate’ tracery.
C14 two bay arc-braced collar truss roof with windbraces to chancel.
The nave features a C19 braced collar truss roof.
There is a mid C17 hexagonal wood pulpit and a C14 round stone font.
Tubney : St Lawrence
This is the only Protestant church designed by Augustus Pugin (1812-52). The new church, built for Magdalen College Oxford, was designed by A. W. Pugin and dedicated to St Lawrence, was consecrated in 1847. The interior fittings were designed by him and remain unchanged, including a font given by Queen Adelaide (d.1849)
Uffington : St Mary
An imposing, little-altered cruciform church of the 13th century, just below the famous White Horse carved out of the chalk hillside. It has a central octagonal tower, which lost its spire in a storm in 1740.
Upper Heyford : St Mary
There was a church in Upper Heyford in the 11th century; a priest is recorded in 1180. The present church, St Mary’s, was largely rebuilt in the 1860s, only the medieval tower is retained. The church has a close working relationship with Heyford Park Chapel
Upton : St Mary the Virgin
Upton : Upton Methodist Church
Wallingford : Baptist Church
The church was founded in 1794 by Robert Lovegrove, the owner of Calleva House, who had a plain rectangular chapel built at the bottom of his garden, along with an attached schoolroom. Given a Georgian front in 1821 as the membership grew, that front was replicated to permit an extension forward (over the old graveyard) in 1994.
Wallingford : Methodist Church
Methodism in Wallingford has a long history. The founder of Methodism, John Wesley, visited the town on at least 4 occasions. The present Church building, in St Leonards Square was built in 1873. The premises have been modernised and extended in recent years, to serve a growing congregation and for community use.
Wallingford : Quaker Meeting House
The simple Quaker Meeting House was built in 1724 and retains many original features, including traditional plain plasterwork, brick flooring, wooden panelling, ministers’ gallery and benches. It is located in a secluded setting, close to the town centre and surrounded by garden.
Wallingford : Ridgeway Community Centre
Ridgeway Community Church is a lively and loving church with two congregations, Didcot and Wallingford. We are a community of followers of Jesus Christ, who commit ourselves to one-another in order to worship God, study His Word, be strengthened by His Holy Spirit and impact the world which He loves.
Wallingford : St John the Evangelist
The Church of St John the Evangelist is a Roman Catholic community based in Wallingford that also enjoys a strong relationship with the sister community of the English Martyrs Church in Didcot.
Wallingford : St Leonard
St. Leonard’s is the oldest of the three remaining churches in Wallingford. Believed to be of Saxon origin, signs of which are still visible, it has been rebuilt several times during its long history. St. Leonard’s is used for services every Sunday along with its sister church of St. Mary-le-More.
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.