• Denomination

  • Style

  • Clear all search and filter

Baptist Church

Chipping Norton

Baptist Church

Didcot
Didcot Baptist Church as a group of people was founded in 1934 and the building was built and opened on 20 October 1938. The building has been extended in several stages and currently has two associated community halls, teaching rooms, with connecting corridors. The main worship area was turned through 90 degrees during one of these extension projects.

Baptist Church

Drayton

Baptist Church

Ducklington
The Chapel was built in 1868.

Baptist Church

Milton-u-Wychwood
The first building on this site dates from 1808. A Church was formed in the year 1837 with an initial membership of five. This was called a Baptist Open Communion Church and was under the direction of the Rev Thomas Coles the Baptist Minister at Bourton on the Water. Eight more Members were added later that year. Two years later a decision was made to replace the church building which was in need of repair and had become too small. The new building was completed in 1839.

Baptist Church

Eynsham
The current building was completed in 1818 (although a small chapel in a converted barn existed in 1812). Originally there was a gallery at the rear of the church over the main doors, the windows had stone mullions and there were pews. At the front was a large central pulpit, before which was the baptismal pool. Although the pews and pulpit were removed in the latter part of the 20th century, the pool remains and is still used.The mullions in the windows and the gallery were removed in 1884 when the building became derelict.

Baptist Church

Shilton
The chapel was built in the early 19th century as a cart shed and became a place of worship in 1830.

Baptist Church

Kidlington
The Baptist church dates from 1978 incorporating a sixties church at the rear as the hall. It is a striking design with monopitch roof and large clerestory windows.

Baptist Church

Banbury

Baptist Church

Charlton-on-Otmoor

Baptist Church

Headington

Baptist Church

Botley

Bartlemas Chapel

Cowley

Bethel Congregational Church

Launton

Bishop Edward King Chapel

Cudderson
The chapel of Ripon College Cuddesdon and of the Sisters of the Communities of St John Baptist and the Good Shepherd, a community of Anglican nuns.

Blessed Dominic Barberi

Littlemore

Blessed Hugh

Faringdon
The church was refurbished and reordered in 2007 following the closure of St George’s Buckland. It is dedicated to a Roman Catholic priest martyred in 1539. As Abbot he refused to surrender Reading Abbey. Now the Roman Catholic church it was originally built as a Congregational church in 1840.

Blewbury Centre

Blewbury

Brightwell Free Church

Brightwell-cum-Sotwell

Challoner Chapel

Milton, Abingdon

Chapel

Balscote
Originally a Wesleyan Methodist Church built (1850) in squared ironstone with lancet windows.

Chapel

New Hinksey, Oxford
The chapel located in Wytham Street was built in 1938

Childrey Methodist Church

Childrey

Chinnor Community Church

Chinnor
A congregational church dating from the start of the 19th century

Cholsey Free Church

Cholsey
This little church was founded in 1825 and services are still held every week. The timber-framed rendered building has the appearance of a domestic dwelling.

Christ Church

Long Hanborough
Christ Church was designed by E. H. L. Barker and was built in 1893 on the north side of the main road that runs through Long Hanborough (now known as the A4095). It consists of a chancel and nave with a south porch and west belfry. In the chancel there is a memorial to William Wynne Wilson, rector from 1891 to 1906, who was responsible for building the church.

Christ Church

Abingdon

Christ Church (URC)

Henley-on-Thames
This imposing and attractive brick and stone church with its distinctive tower was built in 1907 on the site of an earlier meeting house.

Christ Church Cathedral

Oxford
The cathedral was originally the church of St Frideswide’s Priory. The site is claimed to be the location of the abbey and relics of St Frideswide, the patron saint of Oxford, although this is debatable.

In 1522, the priory was surrendered to Cardinal Wolsey, who had selected it as the site for his proposed college. However, in 1529 the foundation was taken over by King Henry VIII. Work stopped, but in June 1532 the college was refounded by the King. In 1546, Henry VIII transferred to it the recently created see of Oxford from Osney. The cathedral has the name of Ecclesia Christi Cathedralis Oxoniensis, given to it by King Henry VIII’s foundation charter.

There has been a choir at the cathedral since 1526, when John Taverner was the organist and also master of the choristers. The statutes of Cardinal Wolsey’s original college, initially called Cardinal College, mentioned sixteen choristers and thirty singing priests.

Christ Church Cathedral is often claimed to be the smallest cathedral in England, and although it did once hold this distinction there are now smaller cathedrals, as several parish churches were elevated to cathedral status in the 20th century.

The nave, choir, main tower and transepts are of the late Norman period. There are architectural features ranging from Norman to the Perpendicular style and a large rose window of the ten-part (i.e., botanical) type.

Christ the King

Sonning Common
Situated near the centre of the large village of Sonning Common, a modern building with an integrated hall.

Christ the King RC

Woodcote

Christchurch (Methodist & URC)

Thame
An impressive Gothic style building in stone dating from 1876, with graduated lancet windows. Modern new porch has been added.

Collinwood Road United Reformed Church

Headington
A United Reformed church serving the Risinghurst area of Oxford.

Congregational Church

Deddington

Corpus Christi

Headington
Designed by Gilbert Gardner, the simplicity of style has been described as ‘Californian Romanesque’. The church opened on February 18th 1937.The entrance was originally on the South side where the statue of the Sacred Heart now stands.The existing Altar and Lectern, in French limestone, were executed by Geoff Coppock (1980) and stone coping over the windows was completed in 1981. The baptismal font was repositioned and the porch where the baptistery used to be was opened up in 1982. A new boundary wall dates from 1983 and most of the existing garden was designed by Nicholas and Pam Coote in 1985.

Davenport Road Methodist Church

Witney
The Chapel was built in 1957

Easington Methodist Church

Banbury

Emmanuel Church

Bicester

English Martyrs

Didcot
We are a Roman Catholic community based at the English Martyrs Church in Didcot, maintaining a close relationship with our sister community in Wallingford.

Fairway Methodist Church

Banbury

Friends Meeting House

Banbury

Friends Meeting House

Oxford

Friends Meeting House

Burford
The building probably dates from 1688, with remodelling in 1709 and 1730s.

Friends Meeting House

Charlbury
The Friends Meeting House was built in 1779. It is a square Georgian building with a hipped roof and arched windows. The number of members attending Quaker meetings was 35 in 1826 and 39 in 1851. After the First World War attendance declined rapidly and in the 1920s the meeting house was closed and turned into a preparatory school.


The Thomas Gilkes who helped to provide the land for the meeting house had a son of the same name who became a clockmaker in Sibford Gower. He trained his son — a third Thomas Gilkes (1704–57) — in the same trade. This Gilkes established his own clockmaking business in Charlbury, and was reputed also to be an eminent Quaker minister. He was succeeded by his son, a fourth Thomas Gilkes (1740–75). A number of longcase clocks made by the two men still exist.

Friends Meeting House

Faringdon

Friends Meeting House

Henley-on-Thames
The history of the Quakers in Henley can be traced back to the C17 and the present building was built in 1894 to designs of Smith & Son of Reading, in red brick with terracotta dressings, replacing an earlier meeting-house. The building adjoins the sole surviving timber-framed cottage acquired by the group in 1672.

Friends Meeting House

Sibford Gower
A Quaker congregation was established in the village by 1669, when it met in the home of the clockmaker Thomas Gilkes. In 1678 or 1681 a Quaker meeting-house was built on land bought for the purpose by Bray D’Oyley, Thomas Fardon and Thomas Gilkes. By 1682 it had a burial ground. In 1736 a gallery was added inside the meeting-house to accommodate its growing congregation. The 1851 Census recorded that 112 people attended its Sunday meeting. In 1865 the old meeting-house was replaced with the present one southwest of the village, on the road to Hook Norton.

Friends Meeting House, Adderbury

Adderbury
Grade II* Listed
Quaker
Built in 1675 by order of Bray D’Oyly, a leading Quaker and landowner, the building is largely unchanged, retaining its interior simplicity and fittings. It is the third oldest meeting house in the country.

Grimsbury Methodist Church

Banbury
The modern building on West Street replaces the earlier neoclassical brick and stone building completed in 1871.

Henley Baptist Church

Henley-on-Thames
This Gothic-style chapel on the south side of Gravel Hill in Henley was completed in 1878, opened in 1879, and included a school room.

New and improved Roof Alarm Grants

You can now apply for a grant of up to 80% of the cost of an alarm plus the first year’s maintenance

You can now apply for a grant of up to 80% of the cost of an alarm plus the first year’s maintenance