The building probably dates from 1688, with remodelling in 1709 and 1730s.
Burford : SS Thomas More and John Fisher
A modern building
Burford : St John The Baptist
Grand wool church in graveyard full of bale tombs.
Buscot : St Mary
Carterton : Methodist Church
Carterton : St John Evangelist
A modern, 1950s church, with 1990s addition.
Carterton : St Joseph
St Joseph’s Church in Carterton started out as a threshing barn around two hundred years ago.
Cassington : St Peter
Built in 1123 by the treasurer to Henry I, Geoffrey de Clinton this church was altered and added to in the fourteenth century. The most obvious Norman features include the round headed windows and doorways and the corbel table which runs along both sides of the chancel and nave and form a chunkily carved gallery of heads both human and animal. The church contains precious early woodwork and painted glass
Caversfield : St Laurence
The oldest part of the small Church of England parish church of Saint Laurence is the Saxon ground stage of the bell tower, probably from the 10th century. The nave and chancel were rebuilt late in the 12th century. Early in the 13th century the chancel was remodelled again in the Early English Gothic style with two lancet windows at its east end, and the bell-stage of the tower was either added or rebuilt. The small north and south aisles were added around the same time. Each aisle is linked to the nave by an arcade of two bays, in which the style of the piers is of about AD 1180 but the Early English Gothic style of the arches is of about 1230. The south walls of the church include a lancet window, a Decorated Gothic window from early in the 14th century and a Perpendicular Gothic window from late in the 15th century.
In the 18th century the north and south aisles of St. Laurence church were demolished and the two arcades blocked up. In 1874 the Gothic Revival architect Henry Woodyer restored the chancel, rebuilt the aisles and added a vestry to the east of the north aisle.
Chadlington : St Nicholas
Chadlington lies in rolling countryside in North West Oxfordshire on the edge of the Cotswolds. St. Nicholas is mainly 13th-century, with a 14th-century tower and Victorian chancel.
Chalgrove : Methodist Church
Chalgrove Methodist Church was opened in September 1869, although for the previous 20 years or so, Methodists had worshipped together in Chalgrove in a former Baptist Chapel. The land for the Methodist chapel was donated by a local farmer Richard Hatt. Hatt and other local farmers, supplied the bricks and paid for labour to build the chapel.
Leading members of this church in the last three decades of the 19th century were John Auger, a builder and wheelwright, Jesse Hall, a grocer and a farmer called George Henry Nixey. The Church was registered for marriages in 1909.
Chalgrove Methodist Church closed for worship at Easter 2016 when the small congregation joined St Mary’s, the Parish church in Chalgrove.
It is now a private dwelling.
Chalgrove : St Mary
The exterior of Charlgrove St Mary is adequate but unexciting, though amazing wall paintings are hidden inside this modest exterior.
Charlbury : Baptist Church
Charlbury : Friends Meeting House
The Friends Meeting House was built in 1779. It is a square Georgian building with a hipped roof and arched windows. The number of members attending Quaker meetings was 35 in 1826 and 39 in 1851. After the First World War attendance declined rapidly and in the 1920s the meeting house was closed and turned into a preparatory school.
The Thomas Gilkes who helped to provide the land for the meeting house had a son of the same name who became a clockmaker in Sibford Gower. He trained his son — a third Thomas Gilkes (1704–57) — in the same trade. This Gilkes established his own clockmaking business in Charlbury, and was reputed also to be an eminent Quaker minister. He was succeeded by his son, a fourth Thomas Gilkes (1740–75). A number of longcase clocks made by the two men still exist.
Charlbury : Methodist Church
Charlbury : St Mary Virgin
Charlbury : St Teresa
Charlton : Holy Trinity
Charlton on Otmoor : Baptist Church
Charlton on Otmoor : St Mary the Virgin
Charney Bassett : St Peter
Some time in the first part of the 12th century that earlier church was replaced by a Norman building of stone, probably on the same site. That first Norman church was much smaller than the current building, and only parts of it survive in the south wall of the nave.
Chastleton : St Mary the Virgin
Checkendon : St Peter and St Paul
A small Norman flint and stone church in a pretty Chiltern village. The semi-circular apse has early 13th-century wall-paintings and the monuments include a modern window engraved by Laurence Whistler.
Chesterton : St Mary
The oldest part of the Anglican parish church of Saint Mary is a 12th-century arcade of three arches between the nave and the north aisle. The arcade is in the Transitional style between Norman and Early English Gothic. The church was rebuilt in the 13th century and reconsecrated in 1238. The chancel arch and arcade of the south aisle, both of which are Early English Gothic, date from this period. The Decorated Gothic bell tower was added early in the 14th century. The present Perpendicular Gothic windows in the south aisle were added in the 14th or 15th century. In the 15th century a clerestory was added to the nave and a five-light east window was inserted in the chancel.
In 1852 the east window was replaced with a Gothic Revival Decorated Gothic four-light one, and in 1854 the chancel arch was restored. In 1866 the architect F.C. Penrose restored much of the building, including the windows in the south aisle and some of those in the north aisle. He also added a turret staircase to the tower.
By 1552 St. Mary’s three bells and Sanctus bell. William Watts of Bedford cast the present tenor bell in about 1590. Henry Farmer of Evesham in Worcestershire and James Keene of Woodstock jointly cast the present treble and second bells in 1623. Richard III Chandler of Drayton Parslow in Buckinghamshire cast the present Sanctus bell in 1715. The clock was added in 1884
Childrey : Childrey Methodist Church
Childrey : St Mary the Virgin
Grade I listed
The present cruciform church dates from the 12th Century.
Chilton : All Saints
The church consists of a nave (built in the 12th century), south aisle (13th century), chancel (14th century), a west tower and a south porch (both 19th century). The walls, which are built of chalk with stone dressings, are plastered internally and rendered externally.
Chinnor : Chinnor Community Church
A congregational church dating from the start of the 19th century
Chinnor : St Andrew
Tucked away under the Buckinghamshire Chilterns, surrounded by modern housing, St Andrew’s is a remarkable church. The outside is Decorated, with ﬁne window tracery characteristic of the period, and the south porch, with vaulted ceiling, and door are also 14th century. The nave arcades are Early English. The brasses are among the ﬁnest in the county. Around the walls of the nave are sixteen large oil paintings of the Apostles and Evangelists presented by an 18th-century rector and ascribed to Sir James Thornhill.
Chipping Norton : Baptist Church
Chipping Norton : Holy Trinity
Chipping Norton : Methodist Church
The church was opened in 1868 and designed by William Peachey of Darlington. It is Italianate in style with round-arched windows and porch with Tuscan columns.
Chipping Norton : St Mary the Virgin
One of the great Cotswold churches, whose nave was rebuilt about 1485 by a local wool merchant, John Ashfield. The clerestory, which runs the length of the nave, bathes the church with light.
Chislehampton : St Katherine
Cholsey : St Mary
St Mary’s Cholsey is a village church with an active congregation. Founded as an abbey church by King Ethelred the Unready in approximately 986. Much of the church as seen today is Norman and it unusually retains its original cruciform shape. It was reordered internally in the 1980s. Agatha Christie is buried in the church yard.
Church Hanborough : SS Peter and Paul
The Church of England parish church of Saints Peter and Paul was built before 1130, when Henry I granted its advowson to Reading Abbey, which he had founded nine years earlier. Surviving 12th century features include Norman tympanum of the north door, which is a relief of Saint Peter with the Lamb of God and the lion of Saint Mark. Early in the 13th century the chancel and chancel arch were rebuilt, the north chapel was extended eastwards, the height of the aisles was increased, the north and south porches were added and a west tower was built.
Churchill : All Saints
Churchill : Methodist Chapel
The Methodist Church (more often called The Chapel) was opened at Easter 1927 by Richard Cadbury of chocolate fame, on a site donated by David Crudge, a local farmer. The stone came from Chadlington. The iron gates were made by Charles Blake the village blacksmith and the chairs were made from trees grown in Churchill. Designed by WG Eaton of Witney in stone and with striking lancet windows.
Churchill : Old Church
Redundant medieval church of which only the chancel remains surrounded by graveyard.
Clanfield : Methodist Church
This Chapel is no longer a place of worship
Clanfield : St Stephen
Claydon : St James the Great
An attractive little church with a saddleback tower and Norman doorway on the Northamptonshire border.
Clifton Hampden : St Michael and All Angels
Cogges : St Mary
Unusual tower with clear French associations. The bowl of the font dates from the 12th Century.
Coleshill : All Saints
All Saints Church was built of flint and stone in 1861.
Combe : St Laurence
Compton Beauchamp : St Swithun
The Church of England parish church of Saint Swithun is 13th century and is built of chalk. This ancient church is unusual in that most of the furnishings date from the 20th century. These were commissioned by Samuel Gurney, an Anglo Catholic who lived in Compton Beauchamp from 1924 until his death in 1968. He commissioned the artist Martin Travers to redesign the interior, which was completely reordered between 1925 and 1950.
Cornwell : St Peter
Cote : Baptist Chapel
A Chapel was registered for meetings in 1704 but the present building was built in 1756. It is no longer used for regular worship, but the Churchyard is still open for burials.
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.