• Denomination

  • Style

  • Clear all search and filter

Hardwick cum Tusmore : St Mary the Virgin

Hardwick-cum-Tusmore

Harpsden : St Margaret

Harpsden
This beautiful village church located near Henley on Thames was originally Norman and built of flint and brick. Despite being enlarged in the C19, the interior has medieval details, Norman font and stone effigy and brasses.

Harwell : St Matthew

Harwell
St Matthew’s Harwell exemplifies the architecture from Traditional Norman, through early English, to decorated. It appears to have been constructed as follows: 1190-1200 North and South Transepts, 1200-1220 Tower and Nave Arcades, 1270-1310 Chancel, 1275-1325 South and North Aisle Walls and reconstructed Porch, 1975 Ground Floor and Upper Room extension to North Wall.
Hatford, St. George

Hatford : St George

Hatford

Headington : All Saints

Headington
Initially a small chapel was built and dedicated on All Saints’ Day 1870. In 1910 a new and larger church consisting only of the nave was built, funded by the Morrell family and the villagers of New Headington. Fund-raising to add both a chancel with choir stalls and a vestry were delayed by the outbreak of the 1914–1918 war. Further fund raising in the inter-war years enabled the addition of the chancel in 1937. Designed in 1910 by Arthur Blomfield, the church has lancet windows with an impressive interior – short piers and broad arches.

Headington : Baptist Church

Headington

Headington : Collinwood Road United Reformed Church

Headington
A United Reformed church serving the Risinghurst area of Oxford.

Headington : Corpus Christi

Headington
Designed by Gilbert Gardner, the simplicity of style has been described as ‘Californian Romanesque’. The church opened on February 18th 1937.The entrance was originally on the South side where the statue of the Sacred Heart now stands.The existing Altar and Lectern, in French limestone, were executed by Geoff Coppock (1980) and stone coping over the windows was completed in 1981. The baptismal font was repositioned and the porch where the baptistery used to be was opened up in 1982. A new boundary wall dates from 1983 and most of the existing garden was designed by Nicholas and Pam Coote in 1985.

Headington : St Andrews

Headington
St Andrew’s Church is Headington’s oldest surviving building. Some parts of it date from the twelfth century, and it is thought to have been established by Hugh de Pluggenait, who was Lord of the Manor of Headingon from 1142 to 1201; but there was probably already a small Saxon building on this site.

Headington : St Anthony of Padua

Headington
The Church of St Anthony of Padua, Oxford is a yellow brick-built Catholic church in suburb of Headington, east Oxford, Oxfordshire, England. The church building is located in Headley Way.

The church was built in 1960 and designed by Jennings, Homer & Lynch. J.R.R. Tolkien was a parishioner here when he lived in Sandfield Road nearby. He was also a benefactor and a Requiem Mass was held here in his honour on 6 September 1973.

Headington : St Mary

Headington

Headington Quarry : Holy Trinity

Headington Quarry
The Church of England parish church of the Holy Trinity was designed by George Gilbert Scott and built in 1848–49.The east window of its chancel was designed by Ninian Comper.The Friends of Holy Trinity Church was founded in 2002 to raise funds and look after the church. In 1930, C. S. Lewis, Oxford academic and author of The Chronicles of Narnia, and his brother Warnie moved, with Mrs Janie Moore and her daughter Maureen, into “The Kilns”, a house on the outskirts of Headington Quarry. Lewis attended Holy Trinity Church. He first preached there on 29 March 1942, on the subject of “Religion and pleasure”, and he is buried in the churchyard.

Hempton : St John the Evangelist

Hempton
Hempton Church was built on land purchased in 1850 to the cost and design of Rev Willian Wilson of Over Worton. Over Worton also presented the Norman font which stands at the back of the Church. Part of the Church was used for the village school, this is now the Church Hall and is used for social events. The roof over the altar on the inside has a nice decorative material.

Henley on Thames : Christ Church (URC)

Henley-on-Thames
This imposing and attractive brick and stone church with its distinctive tower was built in 1907 on the site of an earlier meeting house.

Henley on Thames : Friends Meeting House

Henley-on-Thames
The history of the Quakers in Henley can be traced back to the C17 and the present building was built in 1894 to designs of Smith & Son of Reading, in red brick with terracotta dressings, replacing an earlier meeting-house. The building adjoins the sole surviving timber-framed cottage acquired by the group in 1672.

Henley on Thames : Henley Baptist Church

Henley-on-Thames
This Gothic-style chapel on the south side of Gravel Hill in Henley was completed in 1878, opened in 1879, and included a school room.

Henley on Thames : Holy Trinity

Henley-on-Thames
The church was constructed in 1848 by Benjamin Ferry, and consists of flint with stone detailing. In 1891 a vestry, baptistry and aisles were added and the churchyard area was expanded. Externally there has been little alteration since the C19.

Henley on Thames : Sacred Heart

Henley-on-Thames
The church was constructed in 1936 by A.S.G. Butler; Arts & Craft Gothic in red brick, incorporating work from the destroyed chapel at Danesfield, Bucks., by Pugin c.1850.

Henley on Thames : St Mary

Henley-on-Thames
The church with its attractive C16 tower, in stone and knapped flint, dominates the skyline of the town and is located beside the River Thames. The church has C13 origins and was enlarged and remodelled in the C15, C18 and C19.

Hethe : Holy Trinity RC

Hethe
The present church was built in 1832 in the Gothic Style using squared coursed limestone, with a slated roof.

Hethe : St Edmund and St George

Hethe
The Church of England parish church of Saint Edmund and Saint George is known to have existed by 1154, when it was given to the Augustinian Priory at Kenilworth, later Kenilworth Abbey. Both the west wall of the nave and the south wall of the chancel survive from this time, each retaining a Norman lancet window and the latter a priest’s doorway from the same period. The east end of the chancel was rebuilt early in the 13th century when a Decorated Gothic east window was inserted. In the 15th century a Perpendicular Gothic clerestory was added to the nave. When the Abbey was dissolved in 1538 the advowson of Hethe passed to the Crown, which has retained it ever since.


In 1854 Samuel Wilberforce, Bishop of Oxford complained that the St. Edmund and St. George was “in most miserable order” and “utterly too small for the population”. In 1859 the Gothic Revival architect G.E. Street restored the building, widened the chancel arch, and added the bell-turret and the north aisle. Street moved the Decorated Style east window from the chancel to the north aisle, and inserted a new east window in the chancel in its place. In 1924 the living was combined with that of Fringford. The parish is now part of the benefice of Stratton Audley with Godington, Fringford with Hethe and Stoke Lyne. The benefice is part of the Shelswell group of parishes.

Heythrop : St Nicholas

Heythrop
St Nicholas was totally rebuilt in the 1870’s, using local stone, by Albert Brassey, who owned Heythrop Park. It is typical of the Victorian gothic style and is in good condition. This church replaced a Norman church, the chancel of which still exists, to the south east in a hidden walled Churchyard, which is opened once a year for a summer ‘Songs of Praise’ service. The old church has a striking west doorway from around 1170.

Heythrop : St Nicholas Ancient

Heythrop

Highmoor : St Paul

Highmoor
This church is now closed for worship and is in the course of being sold on the open market. The parish has been combined with Nettlebed.

(For information: The church was built in 1859 and is constructed in knapped flint with ashlar detailing on a red and grey brick wall plate.)

Hinton Waldrist : St Margaret

Hinton Waldrist
The Church of England parish church of St Margaret is 13th century, but has been extensively remodelled since. It is a Grade II* listed building.

Holton : St Bartholomew

Holton

Holwell : St Mary

Holwell
Holwell Church was consecrated in 1895 and is in good order.

Hook Norton : Baptist

Hook Norton
The Baptist Church in Hook Norton is one of the oldest in existence, tracing its roots back to the 1640s. Not surprisingly it has an interesting history: the first pastor James Wilmot was imprisoned for six months in 1664 for preaching! In the era before cars, horses and traps would converge on the church from surrounding farms and villages, some people would travel for over an hour on foot for Sunday Worship.

Hook Norton : St Peter

Hook Norton
St. Peter’s church was first registered in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle of 922 AD. The present building is of Norman origin but also has Early English, Decorated Gothic and Perpendicular Gothic features.

Horley : St Etheldreda

Horley
A light and spacious church with tall elegant windows and good window tracery of the Decorated period.
An enormous wall painting of St Christopher dominates the interior. Note the unusual rood screen, loft and pulpit. Over £50K spent recently on rehanging the four 1706 bells and adding two more and repairing the bell frame replacing the original wooden frame with a metal one.

Hornton : Methodist Chapel

Hornton
Non-conformist groups in Hornton included Baptists in the 17th century and Quakers in the 17th and 18th centuries. Hornton had a Primitive Methodist congregation by 1836, which had built its own chapel by 1842. Hornton’s present Methodist church was built in 1884.

Hornton : St John The Baptist

Hornton
Norman north arcade, but the rest a century later.Small perpendicular tower.

The wall paintings , Doom, and Norman Font are the main items to look at.

Horspath : Horspath Methodist

Horspath

Horspath : St Giles

Horspath
The Church of England parish church of Saint Giles seems to have been built late in the 12th century. The Early English Gothic south aisle, including the south door and three and a half bay south arcade date from this period. From this time the east wall of the chancel had a trio of three stepped lancet windows. The early Decorated Gothic south transept was added late in the 13th or early in the 14th century as a chantry chapel. The south porch was added late in the 14th century.

Around 1400 the present west tower and tower arch were built. The tower arch features two unusual almost life-size sculptures of human figures: one playing the bagpipes and the other showing an expression of amazement. Also in the 15th century the pitch of the nave roof was greatly reduced in typical Perpendicular Gothic style. Late in the 15th century, Perpendicular Gothic windows were inserted in both sides of the chancel and the north wall of the nave. The Perpendicular Gothic piscinae in the chancel and south transept are also 15th century.

Horton cum Studley : St Barnabas

Horton-cum-Studley
The Church of England parish church of Saint Barnabas was built in 1867, apparently on or close to the site of the former village chapel. This made the Priory chapel unnecessary, so when the Croke family sold Studley to John Henderson in 1877 the chapel was converted into a kitchen and offices.

The present St. Barnabas’ parish church was designed by the Gothic Revival architect William Butterfield and built in 1867. It is built of yellow brick relieved by red and blue brick detailing. It has a nave, chancel, north aisle. St. Barnabas’ has no tower but there is a west bell-turret with two bells. The stained glass windows are by Alexander Gibbs.

Early in the 19th century there were a number of Protestant Nonconformists in Horton and Studley, and some of their homes were licenced for them to worship in. The Methodist chapel was built in 1878.

Idbury : St Nicholas

Idbury
The church was built in the twelfth century, and every generation since has made their contribution to its upkeep and development. It is built of durable yellowish oolite and roofed with old grey stone slates, with the exception of the flat roof of the nave, once leaded but now covered with Welsh slates. The windows retain their old leaded glazing and iron stanchion bars.

Iffley : St Mary Virgin

Iffley
One of the finest Norman churches in the country, St Mary’s was built about 1170 and has undergone few alterations. The simple plan consists of nave, tower and chancel. There is much fine beak-head and zigzag carving, both within and without. Note particularly the decoration on the west and south doorways.

Iffley Road : St Edmund and St Frideswide Greyfriars

Iffley Road

Ipsden : St Mary Virgin

Ipsden
An interesting small C12 church close to the Chiltern hills, formerly a chapel of North Stoke, and under the patronage of the Abbey of Bec in Normandy, which may account for the elaborate details in the chancel.

Islip : St Nicholas

Islip
Grade I listed.

Late C12 origins. Building materials consist of Limestone
ashlar and rubble with ashlar dressings. The roofs are of Stonesfield-slate and artificial
stone-slate.

Central features include an aisled nave, chancel, north-east vestry, south porch and west
tower.The chancel, of squared coursed rubble, now has C19 windows in Geometrical
Decorated style: a 3-light east window and 2-light windows to north and south,
all with foliage stops to the hood moulds. The hipped-roofed vestry to north
incorporates a small lancet which may be medieval. The narrow south aisle with a
steep double-pitched roof, has a 2-light Decorated east window and 2 similar
windows to south. The porch, with arcaded side windows, is C19 but shelters the
C14 south doorway which has continuous mouldings. The west gable wall of the
aisle contains a small C11/C12 window. The broader north aisle, also with a
steep double-pitched roof, has 4 large 3-light windows with good geometrical
tracery, mostly renewed; the blocked north doorway has continuous wave mouldings
either side of a three-quarter hollow moulding.

The fine ashlar 3-stage C15 tower, with diagonal buttresses and crenellated parapet has a 3-light 4-centre
arched west window, with intersecting tracery and a wide casement moulding,
above a Tudor-arched door with quatrefoils in the spandrels and a label mould;
the top stage has large 2-light bell-chamber openings with Perpendicular tracery
and transoms; the crocketted corner pinnacles have panelled sides.

Kelmscott : St George

Kelmscott
The church is a simple rustic building, the nave and chancel being built in the late 12th century and the transepts being added in the mid 13th century.

Kencot : St George

Kencot

Kennington : Kennington Methodist Church

Kennington
Built in 1967, it is the newest of the three churches in the village

Kennington : St Swithun

Kennington
The building stood on the site of the present church hall and the diarist, Thomas Hearne, described it in 1724 as a ‘very small, mean building’ which ‘cannot, by the make of the building, be very ancient’. Whatever its age its condition must, by then, have been deteriorating, through lack of maintenance. By the middle of the 18th century it was probably nearing its end and in 1783 the Rector of Sunningwell reported to the Bishop that no trace of it remained. In 1828 a new church was built on the old site by Henry Bowyer, rector of Sunningwell and brother of the Lord of the Manor, Sir George Bowyer. The curate of Sunningwell was placed in charge and its arrangement remained in being until 1866 when Kennington became an ecclesiastical parish in its own right.

The 1828 building with seats for 80 people was large enough to cater for a purely farming community but as Kennington began to grow in size after the first war, the need for a larger church became obvious, but it was not until after the second world war that it became possible to start building it. Land next to the existing church had been donated for the purpose in 1936 and 20 years later the foundation stone of the present church was laid

The official opening and blessing of the church took place on June 17, 1934. The building was designed by Harrison and Company (Birmingham) and Grove Brothers of MiIton-under-Wychwood constructed the design using stone from Chadlington near Woodstock.

Kennington : The Good Shepherd

Kennington
The present church was built in 1965 at a cost of £8000 and opened on 21 September of that year.This is a prefabricated single storey building with a flat roof. The only furnishings of note are the alabaster altar, from the former Anglican convent of St Thomas, Oxford, and a square low relief carved tablet of The Good Shepherd, signed RMBF, 1951. Half of the former nave area is now leased to Headway, a children’s charity.

Kiddington : St Nicholas

Kiddington
The Church of England parish church of Saint Nicholas was Norman, and the original chancel arch survives from this time. The rest of the church was rebuilt about 1400 in the Decorated Gothic style. The chancel was extended westwards so that, unusually amongst parish churches, it has one chancel arch in front of another. The rest of the 14th century rebuilding comprises the nave, a south chapel, south porch and west tower. Later in the Middle Ages a Perpendicular Gothic east window was inserted in the chancel. In 1845 the chancel was rebuilt in its present apsidal form on the original Norman foundations to designs by George Gilbert Scott. In 1848 the Perpendicular Gothic east window was removed and re-used to form sedilia. In 1879 a vestry and organ chamber were added.

The tower has three bells. James Keene of Woodstock cast the tenor bell in 1629. Mears & Stainbank of the Whitechapel Bell Foundry cast the treble bell in 1875. The date and founder of the middle bell are unknown. There is also a smaller bell, now disused, that may have been cast by John Mitchell of Wokingham[16] in about 1493.

Kidlington : Baptist Church

Kidlington
The Baptist church dates from 1978 incorporating a sixties church at the rear as the hall. It is a striking design with monopitch roof and large clerestory windows.

Kidlington : Methodist Church

Kidlington
The church (1936) is built in dark red brick with gabled front and arrow-slit windows.

Kidlington : St John

Kidlington

Kidlington : St John the Baptist

Kidlington
St John’s is a Hall Church, built in 1957-58, the completed church was dedicated on 24th October 1959.

Testing a popup