• Denomination

  • Style

  • Clear all search and filter

Oxford : St Michael at the North Gate

Oxford
Originally built around 1000–1050, with the tower of 1040 still in existence, the church is Oxford’s oldest building. The church tower is Saxon. The architect John Plowman rebuilt the north aisle and transept in 1833.

The Oxford Martyrs were imprisoned in the Bocardo Prison by the church before they were burnt at the stake in what is now Broad Street nearby, then immediately outside the city walls, in 1555 and 1556. Their cell door can be seen on display in the church’s tower.

St Michael at the North Gate is the current City Church of Oxford. That title was originally held by St Martin’s Church at Carfax, and then by All Saints Church in the High Street when St Martin’s Church was demolished in 1896. City Church status passed to St Michael’s when All Saints Church was declared redundant in 1971 (it was subsequently converted into the library of Lincoln College, Oxford). The City Church is where the Mayor and Corporation of Oxford are expected to worship. The parishes of St Martin’s and All Saints are now amalgamated with St Michael’s.

Oxford : St Nicholas the Wonderworker

Oxford
Consecrated in 2010 the church occupies the site of an earlier mission chapel of ease (c.1913) associated with the church of St Nicholas in Old Marston.

Oxford : St Thomas the Martyr

Oxford
The church has a nave with a north aisle and vestry, a Perpendicular Gothic west tower, a chancel and a south porch. The nave was rebuilt in the late 15th or early 16th century to meet a tower of approximately the same age; it is often dated to 1521, but appears to be built on older foundations. The southern side of the nave contains what are probably thirteenth-century buttresses and a pair of Perpendicular Gothic windows. The north aisle was originally built in the 13th century, and rebuilt by H.J. Underwood in 1890;[dubious – discuss] the vestry was built in the 17th century and rebuilt in 1846 to designs by Chamberlain, through the generosity of the curate, Alexander Penrose Forbes. The church has been reroofed at least twice, in 1825 and 1897.

The chancel, which has a ceiling decorated by C. E. Kempe, has three windows in the style of the late 12th century, and a priest’s door built into the south side circa 1250. A south porch was built in 1621 at the behest of Dr Robert Burton, whose arms are carved in the gable above the date. A candelabrum given by Ann Kendall in 1705 hangs in the chancel. The chancel ceiling was decorated with a pattern of gold stars on a blue background in 1914. Two years later, an altar was erected at the east end of the north aisle, and an aumbry placed in the north wall of the chancel. The royal arms of William IV are displayed in the tower.

St Thomas’ church has been a Grade II listed building since 1954.

Oxford : The Orthodox Church of the Holy Trinity and the Annunciation

Oxford
Located in a residential street in North Oxford, the octagonal building (c.1973) reflects the ‘Eighth day’ of Early Christian symbolism.

Oxford : Wesley Memorial Church

Oxford
Wesley Memorial Church is a Methodist church in central Oxford, England. John and Charles Wesley studied in Oxford, and the congregation was founded in 1783. The present church building was completed in 1878.

Oxford’s first Methodist meeting house was a building on the east side of New Inn Hall Street. It is now numbered 32–34 and is part of Brasenose College. A plaque on the wall commemorates the fact that John Wesley preached there on 4 July 1783.

The congregation later moved to a second building on the west side of the street. This has since been and the site has been incorporated into St Peter’s College.

The present Gothic Revival building was started in 1877 and opened in October 1878. The architect Charles Bell designed it in a revival of Decorated Gothic. The building contractor was Joshua Symm. Henry Frith of Gloucester carved the capitals of the columns, which portray twelve different kinds of English plants.

Oxford : Woodstock Road Baptist

Oxford
Small 1906 chapel which has been refurbished in early 1990s.

Piddington : St Nicholas

Piddington
Grade II* listed.

Late C13 origins with later modifications and alterations.

Buildings consist of random and coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings. The roofs are of old plain-tile and Welsh slate.

Features include a C13 chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and west tower.

Windows date from C14 and C15, and include various examples of two/three light designs with Perpendicular tracery. There are also two plain lancet windows in the south aisle.
The west tower is C16 and two storeys high. It has a crenellated parapet, a two light west window and an arched west doorway.

Interior: C14 two-seat sedilia with elaborate carvings and foliage. The chancel arch is C19.

Pishill : Anglican Church

Pishill
Overlooking the Stonor valley in the Chiltern Hills, this church was built in 1854 to replace a Norman and later C13 church. Of coursed flint rubble with limestone ashlar quions and dressings, with chancel, nave, north transept and west belfry.

Pusey : All Saints

Pusey
Grade II* listed.

C18 origins, built for J.A. Pusey. The tower was added C19.

Building materials consist of limestone ashlar to the west porch, with dressed and coursed limestone rubble elsewhere. There are also ashlar quoins to other walls.

Features include transeptal north and south chapels, with a west tower and porch.

The windows are Venetian in style and are located in the end walls of both chapels.

There is a semi circular keyed arch on both sides of the nave, with a similar arch in the west porch. The west tower features a C19 parapet.

Pyrton : St Mary

Pyrton
THE Church is built of flint with stone dressings on the nave and chancel and the roofs are covered with copper. It probably dates to C14. This copper was used in replacement of the former lead roof which twice in the space of a year was stripped by thieves. The original roof was thatched and the ridge marks of this roof can still be seen on the east side of the tower.

The Tower is square with buttresses to give added stability. The belfry windows are really ‘sound holes’ filled with louvres which allow the sound of the bells to radiate.

Lacking stone for a SPIRE, a thin leaded spirelet was built from within the parapet of the tower. This style of building became so popular in the County, that such spirelets are known as ‘Hertfordshire Spikes’, although they are to be found elsewhere. The tower and the nave have embattled parapets. …

Radley : St James the Great

Radley
Grade II* listed.
C13 origins with C20 restorations.
Building materials consist of uncoursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings and an ashlar tower. The east wall is partly rendered with roughcast. Roofs are of artificial stone slate.
Features include a C14 chancel and two-bay nave, with a south aisle and transept. There is also a north aisle with transept. The west tower is C15.
Windows date from C15 and include various examples of two and three light designs with ‘Y’ tracery.
There is also a late C19 timber porch.

Interior:
Late C18/C19 fixtures and fittings with a C13 piscina.

Ramsden : St James

Ramsden
Church. 1872, by A.W. Blomfield.

Dressed limestone with ashlar dressings, including bands in gable ends and internally. Stone slate roofs. Four-bay nave, lean-to south aisle, 2-bay chancel with south vestry and north-west steeple over porch. In an Early English/Decorated Gothic style. Steeple: two stages externally. Double-chamfered plinth, clasping buttresses to lower stage with chamfered offsets to pilaster buttresses to belfry, chamfered offset to belfry with continuous impost moulding and corbelled eaves band, and broach spire with moulded cornice, hipped lucarnes to cardinal faces with louvred chamfered lancet openings, finials and continuous cill string, and finial at apex. Belfry openings of 2 louvred trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil plate tracery, each set in chamfered recess with double-chamfered shallow pointed-arched head. First stage with pairs of trefoil-headed chamfered lancets to east and west, which each have decorative triangular-pattern stonework in relieving arch over; pair of small chamfered lancets to north. Pair of boarded north doors with wrought-iron strap hinges, moulded archway and hood mould with carved foliate stops. Cast-iron bootscrapers. Clock in front of belfry openings to north. Interior of porch has chamfered rear arch to door, stone side benches beneath windows with chamfered square surrounds and central chamfered corbel projections between with broach stops and boarded door to nave with strap hinges and continuously-chamfered and ovolo-moulded archway; encaustic-tiled floor and chamfered cross-beamed ceiling. Nave: chamfered plinth, buttresses with chamfered offsets, chamfered stone eaves and parapeted gable ends with finials at apices, cross-to west. North side: left-hand buttress has gabled top with blind trefoiled circular panel and finial. Windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoils in tracery, hollow-chamfered reveals and returned hood moulds. West end: central buttress with chamfered offsets and gabled top with blind trefoiled circular panel and finial. Two tall windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights with cusped tracery, chamfered reveals and hood moulds with carved foliate stops. South aisle: chamfered plinth, flush cill band and chamfered stone eaves. Two- and 3-light windows with squat trefoil-headed lancet lights; west window of 2 trefoil-headed lights with cusped plate tracery and hood mould with carved foliate stops. Chancel: chamfered plinth (double to east), buttresses with chamfered offsets (clasping to east), cill string, chamfered stone eaves, and parapeted gable end with coping and finial at apex (probably truncated cross). North-west window of 2 chamfered lancet lights with carved trefoiled chamfered circular panel in tympanum and round relieving arch. East end: window of S stepped trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoils and cinquefoil in tracery, chamfered reveals and hood mould with carved foliate stops. Vestry: chamfered plinth and parapeted gable to front with coping and integral stone stack at apex consisting of chamfered offset to octagonal shaft with cap. South window of 2 trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil in tracery, chamfered reveals and returned hood mould. Trefoil-headed chamfered lancet to east and boarded door to its left with chamfered Caernarvon arch and segmental relieving arch.

Interior: dressed stone with ashlar bands. Four-bay nave roof with arched-braced collar trusses springing from stone corbels, intermediate smaller arched-braced collar trusses springing from stone corbels higher up, trussed rafters between with collars, moulded wooden wall plate, ashlar pieces and 3 purlins each side. South aisle arcade consisting of circular piers with moulded bases and capitals (semi-circular end piers) and double-chamfered arches. Nave windows and door with chamfered rear arches and aisle windows with chamfered wooden lintels. Chamfered chancel arch with continuous outer sunk chamfer and half-octagonal piers with moulded bases and capitals. Two-bay chancel roof (one long bay and one short bay) has 2 arched-braced collar trusses with moulded tie-stubs on wooden brackets, intermediate arched-braced truss to east, trussed rafters between with collars, moulded wooden wall plate, ashlar pieces and single purlins. Ashlar dado with cill string, stepped up to east. East window has clustered nook shafts with moulded bases and capitals, chamfered rear arch and hood mould with carved foliate stops; north window with clustered nook shafts and chamfered trefoil rear arch. Continuous double-chamfered vestry/organ arch, with moulded imposts to outer chamfer. Stone sedilia to south with hollow-chamfered arched head and 2 seats divided by stone arm-rests. Double-chamfered arched aumbry to north, the inner chamfer dying into responds, with projecting cill. Lean-to aisle roof with purlins and arched braced trusses. Double-chamfered archway at east end of aisle, the inner chamfer resting on moulded brackets and the outer chamfer dying into responds. Vestry with segmental-arched corner fireplace and chamfered trefoil-arched piscina to south with projecting scalloped bowl. Mainly late C19 fittings: marble reredos of 1872 consisting of cross set in mosiac in central arch, flanking lozenge panels with carved figures, bracketed cill and moulded top; brass plaque on south wall of nave inscribed: “TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND/IN AFFECTIONATE MEMORY OF MARY/KATHERINE WIFE OF R. LOWBRIDGE/BAKER VICAR OF THIS PARISH/THIS REREDOS IS PLACED BY MANY/FRIENDS WHO LOVED HER DEEPLY/A.D. 1872”. Wrought-iron altar rails with wooden rail. Plain choir stalls with wrought-iron frontals. Organ with painted pipes. Oak chancel screen dated 1932 with stone base, 3:3 lights with pierced cinquefoil heads, and moulded top rail with cresting; inscription to base: (left-hand side) “TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF HENRIETTA MARIA. WIFE OF REV. ROBERT LOWBRIDGE BAKER/(right-hand side) “DIED 25 FEBRUARY 1932 AND HER DAUGHTER MARJORIE EMILY WHO DIED 23 FEBRUARY 1932”. Polygonal wooden pulpit with pierced quatrefoils. Wrought-iron lectern. Plain pews. Stone font at west end of nave with square base, circular stem with 4 marble shafts, each with moulded base and carved capital, square bowl with billet ornament to sides and circular lead bowl and circular iron-bound wooden cover. Encaustic tiles to chancel. Stained glass in Past window, north windows and some aisle windows; Faith, Hope and Charity north windows are a memorial to the Reverend Lowbridge Baker. Monuments: date tablet in memory of William Buckingham (d.1914-18 war), carved by Levi Dore, the village craftsman who also designed and built the war memorial (q.v.). The Reverend Robert Lowbridge Baker was the first vicar of Ramsden and gave the tower; spire and bells in memory of his first wife who died on the eve of the opening of the church. The church cost £1,886 and the tower, spire and bells cost £639 (accounts). The church opened on Friday 26th April 1872. The builder was Groves of Milton under Wychwood. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p734; Kelly’s Directory of Oxfordshire: 1911: pp308-9)

Rose Hill : Methodist Church

Rose Hill
Henry Thomas Leake purchased the land and paid for the construction of the chapel which opened in 1835.

Rotherfield Greys : St Nicholas

Rotherfield Greys
This small aisleless village church with timber bellcote was almost entirely rebuilt in the Victorian era, except for the Jacobean chapel with the magnificent Knollys family tomb.

Rotherfield Peppard : All Saints

Rotherfield Peppard
This lovely village church, part of which dates back to Norman times, was restored by William Scott Champion in 1874; with the nave almost completely rebuilt and a north aisle added. The tower and shingled broach spire are of 1908.

Rotherfield Peppard : Springwater Congregational

Rotherfield Peppard
The church constructed of red brick was founded in 1775 and known as Providence Chapel, later becoming Peppard Congregational Church. It has subsequently been renamed Springwater. It is alleged to be the oldest congregational chapel in Oxfordshire.

Rousham : SS Leonard and James

Rousham
The church building dates from 12th Century and has been extended over the centuries.The south aisle arcade (1180); the bell tower was added early in the 13th century; the arch to the south chapel is 14th century and all the windows of the south aisle are Decorated Gothic. In the 15th century a clerestory was added to the nave and a rood screen and rood loft were built across the nave and aisle. A chantry chapel was demolished 1530. There is a large 16th century inserted in the north wall of the nave. All the other windows in the north wall are Perpendicular Gothic. In 1867–68 the church building was restored, the chancel and south porch were rebuilt and the height of the chancel was increased.

Salford : St Mary

Salford
Parish church. C12 and C14 origins largely rebuilt by G E Street in 1854-5. Roughly coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; concrete tile roofs with stepped coped verges.

Sandford on Thames : St Andrew

Sandford-on-Thames
Grade II* listed.
Late C11 origins , restored and enlarged C19.
Building materials consist of limestone rubble with ashlar dressings. Roofs are of plain tile.
Features include 2 two bay nave with north aisle, chancel, west tower, south porch and a vestry to the north of the chancel.
Windows date from C13 and include round headed lancets to the north of the chancel with a Romanesque window at the west end of the south wall. The south wall of the nave features C19 windows with examples of two-light plate tracery.
The south doorway has an early Romanesque round arch with a plain tympanum. The porch is C15 and has some interesting mouldings.
The west tower is two storeys high and is C19.

Sandford St Martin : St Martin

Sandford St Martin
Grade II* listed.
C13 origins, restored C19. Building materials consist of limestone and marlstone rubble with limestone-ashlar dressings. The roofs are of Stonesfield slate and steel metal.
Features include a chancel, aisled three bay nave, south porch and west tower.
Windows date from C13 and feature a range of styles, particularly prominent is the Perpendicular style. Typical details include two and three light window designs with reticulated tracery. The three storey tower includes a three-light window in Decorated style.
The north aisle has a parapet and is probably C13, although includes C14 windows. Gargoyles feature on the parapet string.

Interior:
The chancel arch is of banded ashlar and the arms of Elizabeth I are painted. The C13 south arcade has circular piers and moulded capitals. Other interesting features include a C14 piscina in the south aisle and the interior of the south porch, which has a ribbed vault and protects a C14 doorway.
There is also a C12 font.

Shellingford : St Faith

Shellingford
Grade I listed.
C12 origin with porch and spire added in C17.
Building materials consist of coursed and uncoursed limestone rubble with limestone ashlar dressings. Roofs consist of metal and stone slate.
Features include a chancel, nave, vestry, south porch and west tower with recessed spire.
Windows date from early C14 onwards and include examples of one, two and three light windows.
Other interesting external features are an original Norman south door with shaft rings, carved capitals and dog tooth ornament. The west tower features original Norman lancets.
Battlements crown the nave walls and are probably C17.

Interior:
A Jacobean pulpit and C15 octagonal font. There are various monuments and brass plaques dating from C19 onwards.

Shenington : Holy Trinity

Shenington
A large,light airy church with a high 16th century tower facing the squat little church of Alkerton on the opposite sided of the valley.

Shifford : St Mary

Shifford
Built in 1863, St Mary’s is a small church in limestone in a Gothic Revival style by Joseph Clarke. It replaced a chapel documented from the early 13th century (c.1230) that was a dependent chapelry of Bampton.

Shilton : Baptist Church

Shilton
The chapel was built in the early 19th century as a cart shed and became a place of worship in 1830.

Shilton : Holy Rood

Shilton
The Church is either Saxon or Norman in origin. It was restored in the Victorian era.

Shiplake : SS Peter and Paul

Shiplake
This ancient church dating from 1229, overlooks the Thames valley and is Grade 1 listed. Part of the south aisle and tower are medieval, the rest of the church was rebuilt by G.E. Street 1868/70.

Shippon : St Mary Magdalene

Shippon
The earliest record of a building on this site is 1284. However it was in ruins by 1733. The present church consecrated in 1855 was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott in the 14th Century Decorated style and consists of a chancel, nave, a porch on the north side and a bell tower with crocketed spire. At the east end of the churchyard there is an altar tomb in memory of Revd W A Strange, first Sanskrit scholar at Oxford University, headmaster of Abingdon School and the first Curate at St Mary’s. Over the southern doorway is the crest of Abingdon Abbey, with which Shippon was long associated.

Shipton on Cherwell : Holy Cross

Shipton-on-Cherwell
Shipton had a parish church by the latter part of the 12th century, which seems to have been enlarged in the 13th century and received new windows in the 14th century. It was demolished in 1831 and replaced by a new Georgian Gothic Revival Church of England parish church designed by the artist William Turner who lived at the manor house.Some original materials from the original church were re-used. Crossley and Elrington state that this includes the north porch, which Sherwood and Pevsner had earlier dismissed as “free and flimsy Georgian Gothick”. Holy Cross was restored in 1869 under the direction of the Gothic Revival architect Charles Buckeridge.

The belltower has only two bells.They were cast in the middle of the 16th century and presumably came from the original church.

The original dedication of the 12th-century church was to the Holy Cross. By 1786 the dedication had been changed to Saint Mary, and by 1851 it had been changed to Saint Jerome. By 1892 the church was finally restored to its original dedication of Holy Cross. The parish is now part of the Benefice of Blenheim, which also includes Begbroke, Bladon, Woodstock and Yarnton.

Shipton u Wychwood : St Mary The Virgin

Shipton-u-Wychwood
Parish Church. Early C13, extended C14, altered C15, restored 1859 by Diocesan Architect G E Street who virtually rebuilt the chancel. Rubble with freestone dressings, leaded roofs to nave and aisles, stone slate to chancel. 3-bay clere- storied nave with aisles extended as north and south chapels, south porch and west tower; vestry to north-east. Irregular plinths. Parapeted aisles and nave walls, high ptiched chancel roof. Principal feature is the 3-stage west tower with angle buttresses weathered to each stage and thus forming virtually clasping buttresses to upper stage.

Shirburn : All Saints

Shirburn
Grade I listed.
C12 origins. Building materials consist of Magnesian limestone ashlar.
Features include a C12 nave and north aisle, C13 chancel with C14 south aisle and extension to the north aisle. There is also a 2 storey west tower, C15 south chapel and later additions including a C16 clerestory.
Windows date from C13 and include three lancets to the chancel end, with Perpendicular style windows to the north aisle.
Other interesting aspects include a south porch which zigzag moulding and a vestry to the north side.

Interior:
Triple chamfered round tower arch with waterleaf capitals. The nave arcade features round arches on cylindrical piers.

Shorthampton : All Saints

Shorthampton
This small 12th century building consists of a nave and chancel, south porch and bellcote.

Shrivenham : Methodist Church

Shrivenham
Shrivenham, St Andrew

Shrivenham : St Andrew

Shrivenham
A very unusual church, well worth a visit. The fine 15th-century tower remains but the rest of the church was rebuilt in the 17th century, with the tower coming out of the middle like a tent pole. Inside, the pillars are fatter at the top than the bottom, which looks very odd. There are some good monuments to the Barrington family and a fine ‘perspective’ pulpit and tester from the 17th century.

Shrivenham : St Patrick

Shrivenham
From 1940 the building was dedicated to Roman Catholic worship. It is now a place for multi-faith worship

Shutford : St Martin

Shutford
Grade II* listed.
Late C12/C13 origins. Building materials consist of coursed ironstone rubble with regular coursed ironstone rubble and slate roofs.
Features include a chancel, nave, north chapel, north aisle and a west tower.
Windows date from C13 and include a variety of two and three-light Perpendicular windows with tracery. Lancet windows are also a feature of the chancel.
Other interesting features include a gabled stone porch with a pointed arched doorway. The tower is Perpendicular and is in two stages, with a C12 window on the ground floor.

Sibford Gower : Friends Meeting House

Sibford Gower
A Quaker congregation was established in the village by 1669, when it met in the home of the clockmaker Thomas Gilkes. In 1678 or 1681 a Quaker meeting-house was built on land bought for the purpose by Bray D’Oyley, Thomas Fardon and Thomas Gilkes. By 1682 it had a burial ground. In 1736 a gallery was added inside the meeting-house to accommodate its growing congregation. The 1851 Census recorded that 112 people attended its Sunday meeting. In 1865 the old meeting-house was replaced with the present one southwest of the village, on the road to Hook Norton.

Sibford Gower : Holy Trinity

Sibford Gower
Built in 1840 by H.J. Underwood. Porch added in 1897 by W.E. Mills of Banbury. Squared, coursed ironstone. Slate roof. Stone coped gable. Cruciform plan. Early English style. Lancets and triplets of lancets. Gabled stone porch.
Gabled stone bellcore on west end.

Sibford Gower : Methodist Church

Sibford Gower

Somerton : St James

Somerton
The Church of St James in Somerton stands on a knoll to the south of one of the tracks leading down from the tableland to the east to the water meadows along the Cherwell. The church is unusually large and imposing for what has never been a large village. It contains remarkable monuments and has architectural elements from every century between the eleventh and the sixteenth. It is listed as Grade 1.

Sonning Common : Christ the King

Sonning Common
Situated near the centre of the large village of Sonning Common, a modern building with an integrated hall.

Sonning Common : St Michael

Sonning Common
Situated near the village centre, in an area surrounded by mainly beech woodland and countryside, this is a modern brick built church.

Sotwell : St James

Sotwell

Souldern : Annunciation of The Blessed Virgin Mary

Souldern
Mainly medieval this attractive small church is in an attractive village setting.

Souldern : Wesleyan Chapel

Souldern
In 1869 James Cox granted land to the Wesleyan Reformers so that a Chapel could be built with blank Gothic front and Y-traceried side windows. The foundation stone laid on 6 July 1869 and the building completed by local volunteers. In 1895 a Schoolroom was added and in 1897 a new dias was installed.

South Hinksey : St Laurence

South Hinksey
Grade II* listed.
C12 origins. Building materials consist of uncoursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings and a gabled stone slate roof.
Features include an early C13 tower, two-bay chancel, and nave. There is also a C17 porch and a C12 south door with zig-zag carving.
Windows date from C13 and include pointed lancets to the south. There is also a C15 three light window and an unusual C13 three light window to the south wall.

Interior:
C16 queen post roof with downward arch bracing from central stud to tie beam. The chancel arch is in Norman style. Other features include an ancient triangular niche for a piscine and a C15 octagonal font.

South Leigh : St James the Great

South Leigh
Most of the existing church is late 15th Century, built on a Norman site. There are several fine medieval wall paintings and some very old stained glass. The font dates to the 15th Century.

South Moreton : St John Baptist

South Moreton
Heavily restored mediaeval parish church in attractive location


South Newington : St Peter ad Vincula

South Newington
Village church with exceptional wall paintings, which include paintings done around 1300 to the North Aisle Courtly Style, oil on plaster of St Margaret and the Dragon, St James, the Martyrdom of St Thomas-a -Becket, and the murder of Thomas of Lancaster, (the King’s favourite). Also, in the Nave, late fifteenth century paintings of the Passion Series in primitive arcaic style

South Stoke : St Andrew

South Stoke
St Andrew’s Church, South Stoke, was built in the early 1200s although it is believed there may have been an earlier church. It is one of the most beautiful churches in the district with a large and well-kept churchyard. The Parish of South Stoke cum Woodcote is believed to have been founded in Anglo-Saxon times, possibly by St. Birinus. In 1984 South Stoke became a separate parish in The United Benefice of Goring with South Stoke.

South Weston : St Lawrence

South Weston
Grade I listed.
C12 origin.
Building materials consist of stone rubble with stone dressings. Roofs are of slate with clay tiles on the porch roof.
Features include a C12 chancel, C13 nave with east bays and clerestory. There is also a mid C15 porch and west tower.
Windows range from C13 to C15 and feature various examples of two and three light designs with different styles of tracery.

Interior:
C12 chancel arch with triple shafts and moulded caps and bases. The aisle roofs contain some older principals with curved wall brackets. A window in the east contains original C12 stained glass. There are further examples of this in the upper lights of two windows to the north of the chancel.

Testing a popup