We are aware that there is a problem with the search and filter on this page and we are working to solve the issue.
Parish church. 1826 by James Plowman for James Langston. Regularly coursed and dressed limestone rubble; slate roofs with coped verges and embattled parapets. Nave and short chancel with vestries in…
After the Dissolution of the Monasteries (1538-41), the church was no longer under the care of Abingdon Abbey and began to fall into decay. It was rescued around 1630, when a local builder supervised repairs to the upper part of the tower, the south wall of the south transept, the nave roof, and the pews.
C12 origins. Building materials consist of squared coursed stone, roughcast, stone rubble to the chancel and a stone slate roof.
Central features include a C12 nave, C13 chancel, south aisle and a C16 tower.
Windows vary in style, with a combination of two and three light designs with examples of 'Y' tracery.
Other features of interest include a battlemented parapet and C19 fenestration in the nave and south aisle.
ridge. A 1200 year old yew tree is close to it. This was the heart of a
Saxon settlement, maybe with a wooden church. The foundations of our
church were laid in 1160.
Early C13 origins.
Building materials consist of coursed dressed limestone with ashlar dressings, except the tower which is of uncoursed limestone rubble. The chancel roof is gabled and of stone slate, whilst the nave roof is of Welsh slate.
Central features include a chancel, north chapel, wide nave and west tower. The church was re-modelled C19 in Perpendicular and Early English styles.
Windows contain examples of three light Early English and Perpendicular designs. There are also original lancets in the east wall of the chancel.
The south porch is gabled and shelters a C14 doorway.
The tower is probably C13 and is three storeys high. It features original lancets and a stair turret in the north east corner.
Early C13 archway between the chancel and north chapel.
Building materials consist of coursed limestone rubble and squared, coursed limestone. The roofs are steeply pitched lead with stone coped gables.
Features include a nave, chancel, north aisle, south porch and west tower.
Windows date from C13 and include a three-light geometrical window to the chancel and two-light Decorated windows to the north. The north aisle windows are C19 Gothic Revival, and the nave includes three two-light Perpendicular windows.
The C12 south doorway features a zig-zag design on scalloped capitals.
Grade II listed. C13 origins but almost entirely rebuilt in l863 by William White. Building materials consist of Ironstone ashlar and there are steeply pitched C20-tile roofs. Central features include…
C18 origins, built for J.A. Pusey. The tower was added C19.
Building materials consist of limestone ashlar to the west porch, with dressed and coursed limestone rubble elsewhere. There are also ashlar quoins to other walls.
Features include transeptal north and south chapels, with a west tower and porch.
The windows are Venetian in style and are located in the end walls of both chapels.
There is a semi circular keyed arch on both sides of the nave, with a similar arch in the west porch. The west tower features a C19 parapet.
C12 origins. Building materials consist of Magnesian limestone ashlar.
Features include a C12 nave and north aisle, C13 chancel with C14 south aisle and extension to the north aisle. There is also a 2 storey west tower, C15 south chapel and later additions including a C16 clerestory.
Windows date from C13 and include three lancets to the chancel end, with Perpendicular style windows to the north aisle.
Other interesting aspects include a south porch which zigzag moulding and a vestry to the north side.
Triple chamfered round tower arch with waterleaf capitals. The nave arcade features round arches on cylindrical piers.
Grade II* listed. Early/mid C13 origins. Building materials consist of roughcast over limestone rubble with ashlar dressings and a stone slate roof. Central features include a nave and chancel. There…
The Church of England parish church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary was originally Norman, but was rebuilt in the 14th and 15th centuries. The interior has a…
Fyfield Baptist Chapel has a history going back many years. It was originally a daughter church of Abingdon Baptist Church with the buildings owned by St John’s College, Oxford. Late…