St Margaret, Little Faringdon

St Margaret, Little Faringdon
OHCT grant: £18000

With the help of the Trust and other generous funders, the entire roof of this Grade II* listed church has been replaced.  This work followed some patching undertaken in 2019 when it was discovered that jackdaws had broken through the old Cotswold stone roof and were nesting inside.  A subsequent Quinquennial inspection revealed that the roof had not been replaced since 1860 and was now in urgent need of replacement.

A process of obtaining PCC agreement, making a List B application, getting quotes from roofing companies, fund raising, bat surveys and so on followed.  However, work started during the first week of January 2021 and complete in time for Easter: quite an achievement during lockdown. For a little church like St Margaret’s, this project has been a big success and the congregation are grateful to all the generous funders.

A church has been on this site since Saxon Times and was extended in 1205 with the addition of an arcade with carved pillar capitals and unusual for this period, a porch was added. St Margaret’s has a number of interesting 13th-century features, including a Norman tub font and a window made from mediaeval stained-glass fragments. The aumbry, in the NE wall of the Chancel is one of only six in England to have a ball flower decoration, which was fashionable in the time of Edward 1st.