Thanks to the generosity of the Trust and the many individuals and organisations who responded to the Appeal for funds to repair the church roof – replacing slates, broken timbers and old lead, – the project has been completed. The Chancel, Transepts and South Aisle are now in pristine condition such that the wonderful family monuments contained in the church are safe and that the building can be used and safely visited again.
A thanksgiving service took place in the church at the end of October to celebrate its completion.
All Saints’ is listed Grade II* due to its particularly special architectural and historic interest.
The origins of the church are Norman with many additions over the centuries. The church was largely rebuilt in the 18th century by the Earls of Litchfield (Lee family). Later changes were affected under the Viscounts Dillon, who had married into the Lee family and succeeded them as resident benefactors at Ditchley in 1776. In the 19th century further rebuilding was undertaken in the Victorian Gothic style when arches were specially designed on both the North and South walls to house the four Lee monuments erected there. In 1886 a new East window was installed, dedicated to the memory of the 12th, 13th, and 14th Viscounts Dillon and their wives.