St Martins Church, Shutford

St Martins Church, Shutford
OHCT grant: £3,000

Church Maintenance – A Never Ending Story

Electrical works – £3000

An electrical inspection in 2022 highlighted various items of concern including the need to replace high level lighting, installed in 1992, at a cost of about £4000. The work was approved by the Oxford Diocese and thanks to a generous grant from The Oxfordshire Historic Churches Trust of £3000, the work was completed in April 2023.

Shutford has undergone numerous repair and restoration programmes over the years including repointing, new drainage, replacement of high level lighting, reinforcement of the timber roof and the installation of floodlights to illuminate the church tower on special occasions. Future maintenance work has been identified and our PCC is considering the launch of a fund-raising campaign for the upgrading of the heating system and installation of solar panels on the church south facing roof.


St Martins Church, Shutford (Grade II) is dedicated to St Martin of Tours, patron saint of soldiers. Dating from Norman times and built of built of local Hornton stone, it stands proudly in an elevated position in the village but is in turn dwarfed by Shutford Manor built between 1580 and 1600. Only the north aisle of this transitional Norman church remains as the rest was rebuilt in the 14th and 15th centuries. The stone font is Norman, the porch is 14th century, and the oak screen is early 15th century.

The 15th century narrow perpendicular battlemented tower is in the unusual position at the west end of the north aisle and was built in two stages. There is a 12th century window in the ground stage of the tower which was probably the original west window of the aisle. There are two bells, one of which dates to 1675 – they were re-hung in 1844.

The church had major restoration work done in 1841 including re-paving and the installation of pews to seat about 150, just prior to this the vicar reported the church to be in a disgraceful state.  The chancel was rebuilt in 1862. The interior is almost entirely lime washed but there is evidence of medieval wall paintings, traces of which can be seen above the entrance door.

Testing a popup