The Memorial Chapel acts as a very useful space for community activities and also houses the town’s War Memorial. Over the last few years, it has been apparent that the lead roof of the Memorial Chapel has been leaking causing significant staining of the walls. It had been patched in several places until eventually, our architect recommended a new lead roof. This has now been achieved with the help of an extremely generous grant from OHCT.
Parts of the present building date from the 12th century, though a Saxon church may have existed here. The Tower was built in the 13th century, but its west door (no longer used) was inserted at the end of the 15th century when the height of the tower was increased by one storey. The four-faced Clock was installed in 1885. The sundial on the south wall is dated 1776.